Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few 4th Gen Fbody Questions (technical)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few 4th Gen Fbody Questions (technical)

Alrighty then, some of this is going to be covered with my warranty on the car but 2 of the 4 they said may not depending on what it is so I will just go ahead and tap your guy's knowledge. Here are the 4th things that have gone to he!! on my car recently. (1999 Firebird btw)

1) My horn is the wimpiest sounding pos in the world. Aren't horns dual tone? I think one of the horns is just dead and I am only getting one wimpy sound, if so that is covered under warranty. That sound like the problem?

2) My rear defroster will turn on and everything but then a minute or 2 later it goes off for no reason and then you cannot get it back on for another 5 minutes or so, at which time it will turn off randomly again and accomplish nothing. Any clue on that one? Also it should be covered under warranty.

3) My passenger side sprayer for my windshield wiper fluid stopped working. Since the drivers side works does that mean that its not the motor (assuming that one motor runs both) and just the nozzle? In which case I believe that is not covered under the warranty, and how much would that cost?

4) My factory GM Cd player works just fine except the part where it displays the time/station. It is now so very faint that u have to really strain your eyes up close to see it. Is that some kind of internal problem or just a light blub in there that has went out. If its just a bulb, is that something I can tinker with and fix?

Thanks ahead of time!

My questions is are you talking about the factory warranty? How many miles do you have on it? If its factory I beleive you are out of it Unless its the extend. warranty.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Originally posted by thomas
      My questions is are you talking about the factory warranty? How many miles do you have on it? If its factory I beleive you are out of it Unless its the extend. warranty.
      Nope, I bought a full extended warranty from Car Max when I got the car 2 years ago.. I have about 20k miles left on it

Comment

I can helpwith a couple....

the horn is likely either dead or has a loose connection. Horns are dual tone. My horn went out on my daily driver and to get it to pass inspections they simply replaced one of the norns (both went out), and now it sounds like an old Model T, very weak.

For the sprayer, check the hoses from the wiper fluid resevoir (actually the motor since only one isn't working) to the sprayer under the hood. You'll probably find one came undone and is spraying it under the hood. Again, my daily driver did this. I went out and bought some cheap, small hose clapms and clamped the down tight and haven't had a problem since.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Is it a GM warranty or Carmax. Carmax is pretty decent. I buy alot of cars from them. I would take the car up there and let them look at it. That would be your best bet. Sorry I couldnt be more help but when you talk about an extended warranty it gets a little tricky. I have a dealership myself so the best bet is to take it to them. Hope it helps a little.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current

Comment

Originally posted by thomas
            Is it a GM warranty or Carmax. Carmax is pretty decent. I buy alot of cars from them. I would take the car up there and let them look at it. That would be your best bet. Sorry I couldnt be more help but when you talk about an extended warranty it gets a little tricky. I have a dealership myself so the best bet is to take it to them. Hope it helps a little.
            Yah I called up there and they said the horn and defroster should be covered, the sprayer and the cd player MAY be covered but they'd have to look at it.. so if those 2 arent covered I will attempt to fix it myself

Comment

I had the same problem with the defrster with my '91 Sunbird and replaced the defroster module and it worked just fine. There must be some kind of soleniod near the defroster switch in the firebird.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

Well good luck. If they dont fix it ask to see the service manager. You might be able to get some more out of him.

current

Comment

Anyone ever take apart the factory cd player? or know if that light being dull just means a light burnt out or if something else shorted?

Comment

Originally posted by xero
                    Anyone ever take apart the factory cd player? or know if that light being dull just means a light burnt out or if something else shorted?
                    Ive had mine apart and replaced burned out bulbs in it. I also sent out the CD mechanism and had it rebuilt.

If just one or two bulbs are dim, replace them. It they are all dim I'd say the problem is something else.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                      Ive had mine apart and replaced burned out bulbs in it. I also sent out the CD mechanism and had it rebuilt.

If just one or two bulbs are dim, replace them. It they are all dim I'd say the problem is something else.
                      It's just the light that displays the time and station, every other light is lit up perfectly ... is this easy to take apart and replace?

Comment

Originally posted by xero
                        It's just the light that displays the time and station, every other light is lit up perfectly ... is this easy to take apart and replace?
                        I've never had to fuss with the actual display screen, just the bulbs that light up the buttons. Sorry.

My display screen is way too bright, and doesnt dim with the interior lights. Maybe if our cars mate the resulting offspring will work correctly?
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                          Maybe if our cars mate the resulting offspring will work correctly?
                          lmao, that just may do the trick!

Comment

I had a defroster problem that sounds kinda like yours. I have a third gen and im not sure if this will work for a 4th gen but opn a 3rd thehatch shocks have tje wires attatched to them and they act as a wire to transmit the power to the window. anyways one wire came undone at the bottom of the shock, and it took me for ever to figure out, cause it looked hooked up. I just had to push it on farther. like I said it worked on a 3rd gen. Im not up on my 4th till I buy one.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                            6.2L/382.97 ci
                            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                            WCT-5 speed
                            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                            Boss MS 18" Rims
                            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                            Custom Dual exhaust
                            1LE upgrade
                            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the rear defrost strips sort of temperature sensative? As in, there is nothing to defrost they shut off so they don't heat up for no reason, hence the time (5 minutes or so) to be able to turn it on again?
                              Why are you using the defrost in the first place, its summer!

The horn, i have the same problem, it sounds wimpy, not exactly the manliest horn inthe world, sounds like it belongs on my neices huffy to be honest with you guys!
                              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                              Traded in: 1998 Z28
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Working...
                              X