Alternator dead ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator dead ...

Just had some "fun" this weekend ... setting up for some quartermile action, my alternator died on me ... long story, ADAC (german AAA) didn't cover getting my car all the way back (didn't have the right coverage), so I ended up at an Opel/GM dealer ... I guess I was lucky that they are used to Chevys, as they are close to two big US bases, so they have lots of 'em standing around (can you say 6 comemorative edition 'vettes? And then some! standing around on their lot, catching rust on the brake disks), and (I asume) a halfway decent stock of parts ...
    Well, I didn't expect them to have a 98 V6 alternator, which I was right with ... anyway, the mechanic came up with another AC Delco alternator that looked pretty similar, except for the mounting holes ... he ended up changing just the electronics of the new (refurbished) alternator for the one from mine ... worked fine after that ... (from the parts manual I have, it might be an LT1 alternator - LS1 looks different for the mounts)
    I got to take the whole parts left over (including the blown electronics) to take with me, I guess I'm going to have a look at the electronics and see if it's maybe just a blown diode on the rectifier ... that way, I either have a replacement, or might be able to get back some of the cost if I can sell it again ... anybody tried fixing an alternator before?
    And, a related question, is it normal for an alternator to go south after just 30k miles?
    Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Some places sell the rectifier/regulator parts that get soldered in the back of the alternator - it's a do-able job to repair one. It should have lasted a lot longer than 30k miles.

Comment

I just replaced the alternator in my daily driver after 13 years and 220,000 miles.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

One of the club members had his replaced on his 99 Z ... which had only been registered since 2001 - so his only held up for two years (don't know what mileage he had on it, but not really that much I would expect) - only he was lucky as he was still under waranty ...
        Garry Glendown * '00 Firehawk M6 #92 * '98 Camaro V6 Convertible

Comment

Working...
        X