Is a stock LT1 supposed to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a stock LT1 supposed to...

Is a stock LT1 supposed to break the tires loose from a 10mph roll? I have seen posts where people have said they can do that stock. I can't. Can a M6 do this or is it just Autos. When going from 1st to 2nd I only get a little chirp for about 1 sec. The clutch isn't slipping it feels great and only has 700 miles on it. I have stock 16'' rims with 90% tread on BF-G-Force 245/50 67W.
    2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

I dont think I would want them to break loose. That could take valuable time from you in a race(on the track of course) unless your just goofin off. Just my .0002 cents

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

Originally posted by stingant0
      Is a stock LT1 supposed to break the tires loose from a 10mph roll? I have seen posts where people have said they can do that stock. I can't. Can a M6 do this or is it just Autos. When going from 1st to 2nd I only get a little chirp for about 1 sec. The clutch isn't slipping it feels great and only has 700 miles on it. I have stock 16'' rims with 90% tread on BF-G-Force 245/50 67W.
      An M6 is less likely to break traction from a roll. This is because there is no torque converter to allow the RPMs to raise to a "stall RPM".

With an auto.. When you floor it, the engine can increase RPM up to the stall speed of the torque converter. The engine makes more power at the higher RPM and that power is at times enough to break traction.

With a stick, the clutch is a solid connection. Flooring the car results in only the power the car can produce at that RPM. If you floor it in first at a hypothetical 1300 RPM, you will not get enough power to spin the tires.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If I nail mine from 5-10mph it will spin out of control. I have pirelli 275/40/17 too and a close to stock lt1 with m6. I cant even ease out from a stop and floor it with out lighting the tires up. I think some of it is the tires, Im gonna get some kuhmos in the future.
        Bill
        1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
        Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
        Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Yep my A4 car will break em loose from a slow roll if you get on it. it will downshift from second to first and you are just along for the ride first to second shifts at full throttle she will break loose also but not to bad just a nice loud chirp
          BTW I have fairley new Michelin 245/50/16 (if I remimber right)on the Bird so I have decent tires but I think I could do better.
          1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
          1 of 463
          LT4 knock module
          D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
          strut tower brace
          SLP fan switch
          160* t/stat
          Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
          DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Originally posted by BadWS6
            just a nice loud chirp....
            or a big deep thud as it breaks the trans mount.

I have an A4 with 2.73 gears and I have to really feather it bellow about 20mph. I have 275/40-17 Goodyear GSCs.

It's really just an automatic thing as TraceZ says.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Sure you can break them loose in an M6 from a roll. You just have to do a "rolling neutral drop!!"

Not recommended though, stock 10 bolts don't like that I'm sure.
              Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

I have an A4 with 2.73 gears and I have to really feather it bellow about 20mph. I have 275/40-17 Goodyear GSCs.

It's really just an automatic thing as TraceZ says.
                It depends alot on tires too... My old OEM Goodyears were 10 years old, bald and rock hard (dried out). I could spin those really easy. these brand new Firehawks are impossible to spin unless I feather the clutch.

But, yes if you have good sticky tires and an M6, you shouldnt be smoking the tires from a roll to easily stock. as stated above, this can be a good thing because smoking the tires just slows you down.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

been there gone that scared the stuff out of me
                  The bird has 3.?? gears (I know its the three series just not sure of the exact number ) I am at work and all the info on the car is at home
                  1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
                  1 of 463
                  LT4 knock module
                  D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
                  strut tower brace
                  SLP fan switch
                  160* t/stat
                  Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
                  DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

Yep, been there too....but it's a cheap and easy fix, so no big deal
                    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

I have a stock 93 Trans Am with AT. I can break the tires loose at 10-15 mph. You just have to sport shift the tranny and leave it in 1st. I have the stock rims with some Michelin Pilots I think that are 245 45 16r I think. Well anywhoo the car is bone stock except the 160 thermo. Just bought some edelbrock headers with y-pipe and 17 WS6 rims with tires and will be putting them on Sat. I don't know if it will break those loose but I don't want to know.( tires cost mucho dinero)

Comment

i had an old set of goodyear 245's that were pretty bald and i could lite them up at around thirty. no i have new walni 245's and i find it pretty hard to bark them.
                        93 black trans am (under construction)
                        cheap gas

Comment

i bought my camaro in oct of 2002 and it still had the factory goodyear GSC 8 years old then and i had prolly 3/32nds left of the tread and in the rain i could break them loose at 2-3 shift (around 90 mph)with my 2.73s i wouldn't loose control just watch the tach climb to like 5000 rpms and let off it was the coolest thing but i also hated those tires cuz i'd hydroplane every puddle never again.
                          Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

Working...
                          X