Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumbling and bogging on acceleration

Hello,

I'm having an issue on my 94 formula. When the car makes a cold start, it takes awhile for the car to start....especially when it is hot outside. Also while I'm accelerating the car is bogging and stopping/starting acceleration. The opti was recently replaced (about 25 k) the plugs/wires/coil was done a few months ago. Does this sound like the fuel pump?
    1994 Formula
    3.23's
    Moroso Cold Air Intake
    G2 High Flow MAF
    Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
    1LE Intake Elbow
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

I've got the same problem with my '94. I serviced all the parts you described, and I believe it is my fuel pump. But I've also heard if it's a fuel pump problem, the pump doesn't gradually start to die, either it works or it doesn't.
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

It does sound like the fuel pump... apparently these things go out alot (stock pumps). But im not sure why its taking longer to start.
      99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
        I've got the same problem with my '94. I serviced all the parts you described, and I believe it is my fuel pump. But I've also heard if it's a fuel pump problem, the pump doesn't gradually start to die, either it works or it doesn't.
        I disagree... My fuel pump is 'going bad', it still works, but is only putting out 30 psi w/ the vacume line on and 41 psi w/ it off. Sitting at a light i can feel the car getting more gas, then less, then more... (also raises & lowers my oil pressure gauge). So i have a pump that is no longer good... but its still driveable. Eventually it will just crap out, and i will have little to no pressure.
        99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

It may be that the check valve is also not working so that would explain the long start time as it has to push fuel back to the motor from the tank.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

[QUOTE=xxRillixx] Sitting at a light i can feel the car getting more gas, then less, then more... (also raises & lowers my oil pressure gauge)QUOTE]

Yeah...I forgot to mention that part...sometimes it will rev and give itself gas up and down at stoplights
            1994 Formula
            3.23's
            Moroso Cold Air Intake
            G2 High Flow MAF
            1LE Intake Elbow

Comment

I just went through the same thing- took a week of running like progressive crap to actually die- usually i could feather it and make it run fine, but anything resembling heavy throttle resulted in stumbling. Turned out to be the fuel pump.

Keep in mind a stuck regulator can give the same symptoms as a dying pump.

Comment

You should see some movement of the oil pressure guage whenever there is rpm movment. It may also have to do with the fuel pressure regulator, as that fuluctuating can cause jumps in rpm.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                  You should see some movement of the oil pressure guage whenever there is rpm movment. It may also have to do with the fuel pressure regulator, as that fuluctuating can cause jumps in rpm.
                  Im pretty sure its not because of the regulator... i think that just keeps the pressure from getting to high (over 46-47 psi). I wouldnt think it could cause the pressure to be lower then that. (unless you had an adjustable one that was adjusted too low)
                  99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

I had a bad O2 sensor give me a similar symtoms.
                    Red 94 T/A with T's, Flowmaster, auto +232000km

http://www.geocities.com/cb650sc

Comment

I kind of forgot to mention that the car has 108 k miles on it and still has the original fuel pump...I guess it might be time. I haven't looked into the O2 sensor though...wouldn't that throw a code?
                      1994 Formula
                      3.23's
                      Moroso Cold Air Intake
                      G2 High Flow MAF
                      1LE Intake Elbow

Comment

When diagnosing fuel suspected problems, use a fuel pressure gauge with a hose long enough to tape to the wipers. Observe your reading both at idle and at WOT. You would be suprised how many times it checks fine at idle and dies out under load and rpm.

Comment

my car had a hard time starting. i thought it was an ignition problem but it turned out to be leaking injectors. i replaced the injectors and it starts right up now. btw my stock pump lasted to 180,000 miles
                          93 black trans am (under construction)
                          cheap gas

Comment

Im at 58,500 miles, and my pump is going out. 93Z
                            99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Working...
                            X