experts on headers, please come in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• experts on headers, please come in

hey fellas , im trying to help my friend out , he has a 97 Z-28 and is looking to buy headers. he doesnt know much about cars but he loves his and wants more power. he says he has $1000 for headers. he told me someone advised him that thorley headers were the best.
    he also is planning on lowering the car with maybe a 2" drop.
    his car is manual, has a catback exauhst and a ignition box (Came with the car when he bought it)
    wich are the best headers that you guys know about?
    He also wants to supercharge it .
    whats the biggest super charger he can throw on there?
    headers first right? then supercharger?

thanks guys
    Miss My Bird

Originally posted by Spades95formula
    hey fellas , im trying to help my friend out , he has a 97 Z-28 and is looking to buy headers. he doesnt know much about cars but he loves his and wants more power. he says he has $1000 for headers. he told me someone advised him that thorley headers were the best.
    he also is planning on lowering the car with maybe a 2" drop.
    his car is manual, has a catback exauhst and a ignition box (Came with the car when he bought it)
    wich are the best headers that you guys know about?
    He also wants to supercharge it .
    whats the biggest super charger he can throw on there?
    headers first right? then supercharger?

thanks guys
    I don't think I've heard anyone mention Thorley headers in at least 30 years. The person who recommended them must have been almost as old as I am . They were very popular in the 50's and 60's.... and a quick check of their website indicates most of what they are making are for trucks, with a few models for passenger cars ranging from 1928-based street rods to a 1984 El Camino. The newest F-Body they make headers for is a 1974. Nothing for the LT1.

So.... as good as the Thorley "Tri-Y" design was in 1974, I doubt it is a match for the current header designs. For a 4th Gen F-Body, there is a wide selction of short- , mid- and long-tube header designs. The most popular and among the best as far as power increases are the "long-tube" designs made by Hooker, Jet-Hot (Hooker look-alike), PaceSetter, and TPIS.... and maybe Dynatech by now. Additionally, FLP and a small indpendant named Grotyohann (although he seems to concentrate on LT1's for the Caprice/Impala SS cars) make long-tube systems.

Long tubes provide a broad power band and seem to make some of the best dyno number in most LT1 applications. Down-side of the long-tubes - 1) they take a lot of room, particularly under the driver's side, and are close too unworkable on a lowered 4th Gen; 2) they are not emissions legal in any state, because they relocate the catalytic convertors.

Next up would be the "mid-lenght" headers. I like the AS&M's... I'm pushing 800HP through a set, and they came off a 30th SS convertible that pushed them to over 900HP before he moved to a set of Hooker long-tubes. Alledgedly, RK Sport sells a copy of the AS&M's for slightly less $$$. I believe a lot of people have had good luck with the SLP mid-lengths.

There are a number of "shorty" designs, but HP seems to be limited by comparison to the mid- and long-tubes. MAC is a good choice if you want them.

S/C's..... how big do you want to go? Are you putting it on a stock "bottom end"? With a stock short block, you are limited to 8# boost or less (I personally wouldn't go over 6# on a stock block and expect it to last). ATI Pro-Charger and Vortech are proven designs. Using an aftercooler allows you to push the upper end. If you are building a good forged bottom end, you can go up to the Vortech "X-trim" and push out well over 1,000 flywheel HP. How much power do you want - how much $$$ do you have to spend?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, Can you give some websites on where to get headers at I'm looking for a pair.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Look over some of our sponsors. T. Byrne Motorsports has good parts at good prices.

Also Thunder Racing, Summit, JEG's, Lingenfelter, LG Motorsports, TPIS, AS&M, SLP, Rapid Motorsports, LS1Speed. JEG's and Summit will be harder to sort out, since they offer headers for virtually any car. The others will tend to specialize in 4th Gen F-Bodys.

Or go "custom made"......

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred if I lived near you and was old enough lol I'd buy you a beer for all the help.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

thanks alot fred , my friend only has about two grand right now and for that kind of money he can only go with the headers and installation, maybe hell have enuff left for a fipk kit.
            hes not looking to go as high as yours in power. maybe ,id say around 400hp
            hes got along ways to go. but he says hell get there.
            thanks again fred
            Miss My Bird

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              I don't think I've heard anyone mention Thorley headers in at least 30 years. The person who recommended them must have been almost as old as I am
              I still like Thorleys...good quality header. Ideally, I would put them on the '68 and '79. Although, like you, I am kinda shocked that this name came up on a 4th gen...

I am still debating this one as well. I have no idea what I want to put on the '97; I am thinking the AS&M is the way to go. Do these work well with a blower (high altitude application)?

The Vette sends me into convulsions thinking about headers (TPIS cam, paint, tranny, and its going on e-bay). As soon as I get the Vette done and shipped, I can play with the '68...it will be a nice change of pace.
              '77 K5 rock-crawler project
              '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
              '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
              '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
              '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
              My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
              X