Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratching sound coming from crank pulley area!...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratching sound coming from crank pulley area!...

Hey guys,

Another problem I was hoping you can help me out with. Ive got a 91 RS with a 305 TBI/auto. The engine has about 120,000 on the clock. I just got the car out of storage recently (Stored about a year) and I am trying to get it running good agian. At idle, there is a scracthing sound coming from the front-bottom of the motor. Right near the harmonic balancer. Its definitly loud enough to hear from 15 feet and it fades in and out randomly. I am worried that it may be inside the bottom end. I hope not. Is it possible for the harmonic balancer to make this kinda noise. (Mabey if it got bent?)

Thanks in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

I had a similar problem on my Jeep Wrangler. Metel grinding sound loud as hell. I ended up dropping a clutch fan mounting nut when changing a water pump out. Almost a year later that nut found its way down and behind the balancer and started to grind. I have also had this happen with a small rock believe it or not. Look for debris of some kind down there.
    Good luck
    1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
    Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
    Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
      I had a similar problem on my Jeep Wrangler. Metel grinding sound loud as hell. I ended up dropping a clutch fan mounting nut when changing a water pump out. Almost a year later that nut found its way down and behind the balancer and started to grind. I have also had this happen with a small rock believe it or not. Look for debris of some kind down there.
      Good luck
      ^^^ right on. I've had that happen too.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

After investagating a little more... I think the problem is the timing chain. Its not any of the pulleys, and it sounds like the sound a chain would make if it was loose and scraping aginst the cover. So mabey my chain tensioner is bad? The car has 120K miles... So I am not ruling anything out! I guess I need to pull the cover off.
        No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
        X