Beating the horse to death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating the horse to death

I'm going to ask a question that has probably been asked a million and one times before. Are Flowmasters as bad as they're accused of being? I've read that they're terrible and just about every other exhaust company is better. I thought they might not be so bad seeing as how they've been in business for ages but then again it might just be because people like their tones. I'd much much much rather have Borla but i bought my car with Flowmaster and i'm not paying $700 to swap to something else. One more question. Does changing the cat back add anything whatsoever to a stock car? I didn't think that the stock system was all that restrictive. Some people claim 5 horsepower ot more on a stock set up. Could i have gotten anything? How about with a K&N filter?
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

muffs are muffs

ive had great luck with flowmasters dude. i had them on my old w-body [lumina z34] an now on my 94 z28. they sound great but i have an offroad pipe an no cat . i dont really think mufflers add obvious performance other than the exhaust tone unless you have alot of other stuff done, but thats just my opinion.

-chris

Comment

Flowmasters do not flow well on an f-body simply because of design. The exhaust comes in and exits on the same side of the flowmaster muffler, plus their small size actually restricts airflow over stock. They are also extremely raspy, and if you ever hear one with the cats removed, you'll see what I mean. I had one on my car, and with the cats it sounded good, but when they came off so did the Flowdisaster. I now have 2 bullet mufflers, and you don't get much more flow than that!
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I've never really heard anything bad about flowmasters. People have favorites, but I've never heard anybody bashing flowmasters. They are aluminum rather than stainless, so they won't have the longevity of a borla or SLP system. Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. You may pick up 8-12 horsepower with a cat-back, probably nothing you'd feel. You may also see 1-3 mpg increase in fuel mileage. A K&N drop in filter would see negligible gains (2-3 hp), while a FIPK or other similar device from another manufacturer might get you 5-10. If you already have a flowmaster, I wouldn't bother changing it out unless you really have to have the sound of another system. All cat-back systems give comparable power gains, with only a few hp difference between them.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

check this site out:

http://www.ls1sounds.com

i'm personally likely gonna go with a true dual over the axle

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
          CAGS Eliminator

Comment

mn6: dude i have a flowmaster cat back muffs on my 94 z28 with the cat removed. it sounds great with no raspy noise at tall. the only time i had bad raspy noise was when i took it to NH about a month ago when i developed an exhaust leak after my 2nd run when i missed 3rd an accidentally revved it to like 5k. other than that i guess its all in the ear of the beholder like that other dude said. lata

-chris

Comment

Working...
            X