I really hate A/C work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really hate A/C work

Fixed the A/C (R-12) in the 87 pretty easily. A simple recharge was all that was needed. The 97 has been giving me fits. The first rebuilt compressor locked up as did the second. I know...... I should have stayed with a new one. The third time I went with a new ac delco. No problems. Nothing like doing the job 3 times. To anyone else doing a/c work, my advice is to stick with new AC Delco compressor. You'll be glad you did.

On a side note, I've been using a drop in replacement for R-12 called HC12a. No license required. www.foxtoolsupply.com I've been using it far a few years. The a/c in my Deville get's down to 40º !

Dumb question but did you put a can of oil in when you charged the system?

On a system that is leaking, you need to add oil as well as freon.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
      Dumb question but did you put a can of oil in when you charged the system?

On a system that is leaking, you need to add oil as well as freon.

Sure did. Actually backflushed the whole system as well. All the lines were clear, a new accumulator too.

Comment

Cool. Well that is the point of A/C nevermind.

I need to take my Camaro in and get an expert to look at it. It doesn't work worth a darn when it gets up near 90.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Is it difficult to change out the compressor? I've got a new one coming in for my car, and I'd like to do it myself if I can to save some money. Still going to leave the oiling and recharging up to the pros, though.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I've never changed a GM but on a Ford you have to have a special pully puller. After that, it's an eleectrical connector, 2 lines and about 3 or 4 bolts. I don't think it would be much more to have the mechanic who is vacuuming the system and charging it to do it. I've usually poured the oil in as a liquid before closing the system. Note, you don't want to leave the system open for a period of time. It will collect moisture.

Comment

I'm actually not as happy with the 97 since I used R134a. I am tempted to change it over to HC-12a. As far as the difficulty of the job, it's not bad at all. I replace the compressor and clutch as a pair, I feel it's better in the long run.

Comment

Working...
              X