what size wheels will fit 82-92

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size wheels will fit 82-92

Can anyone tell me what wheels will fit? I want to put the 2000 C5 chrome on it 17x9-5 in rear and 17x8 in front. can i do it?

The C5 wheels will GENERALLY fit the 4th Gen F-bodys.... but they are a problem on the 3rd Gens. The offset makes for a very "shallow" wheel, with a huge backspace. That works on a 4th Gen, where the rear axle assembly is 3" WIDER than the 3rd Gen assembly. Additionally, some 3rd Gen F-Bodys had different offset requirements for the front wheels than they had for the rear wheels.

The offset problems can be overcome with "adapters"..... 1.5" to 2.5" wide units that bolt to your stock hubs, and then include another set of wheel studs for the new wheels to bolt to. The "bolt circle" is the same, but it basically allows you to use a large backspace wheel on a 3rd Gen. These adapters are fairly expensive, since they must be very high quality - about $150-200 a set of 4.

According to a table of wheel sizes I saved from VETTE magazine, the 2000 C5 wheels are 17x9.5" (repro - there were no OEM 17x9.5's) with a 56mm offset (7.40" backspace) and 17x8.5" (OEM) with a 58mm offset (6.90" backspace), and there are some "repro" 17x8.5's with a 56mm offset (7.00" backspace). These would fit a 4th Gen fine, but would need the "spacers" for a 3rd Gen.

You would need to research the exact width of the spacer you need, because of the variability in offset requirements for some of the 3rd Gens.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X