Differential oil question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differential oil question...

The recommeded oil for my car via the owners manuel is there anything special about this oil? i was going to change the oil tomarrow and i forgot to go get some at the dealership tonight and i was wondering if just plain old 75W-80 would do just fine or is there some additives in the gm oil? i got the positraction additive
    Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

For my 94, according to the Owner's Manual (and all 93-98's according to my Chilton's), the recommended rear axle lubricant is SAE 80W-90 GL-5 grade gear oil. With the limited slip differerntial, you also need to add 4-oz. of Limited-Slip Differential additive (GM Part No. 1052358). As a minimum, your rear axle lube should meet those specs.

There was a thread about 3-4 weeks ago that debated the use of synthetic gear oils in limited slip differentials. I don't think the results were conclusive, one way or the other.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

gl-5 whats that stand for?
      thanks for the quick response
      Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs95
        gl-5 whats that stand for?
        thanks for the quick response
        GL-5 is a performance based specification developed by the American Petroeum Institute (API). Similar standard are set by the API for engine oils... for example the "SH" or "SG" performance standard for the motor oil required by the LT1.

On the gear lube container, it should indicate that the oil conforms to standard "GL-5".
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X