Anyone with headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with headers

Anybody with headers will you please tell me what kind you have, price, what type of power increase you got from them, and where you got them. I've worked enough overtime the past few weeks to justify to myself buying them now all I have to do is figure out what kind I want and I'm really stumped and need some help.
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

I have Arizona Speed and Marine. I paid $750 for them brand new.

I also put on a high flow cat and cat-back (both Random Tech) at the same time as the headers. Ended up with a solid and repeated multiple times .5 and 5 MPH in the 1/4.
    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I started with the 1-5/8" JBA "step" headers... and they were just "OK"... good low end torque, but really choked the engine at high RPM. When I built the stroker, I switched to a pair of 1-3/4" AS&M's. A buddy of mine had dyno'd them at over 900HP on his 30th SS. Hard to tell how much power they contributed, because I went from a bolt-on/nitrous motor (JBA's) making maybe to 425HP to an 800HP 381 (AS&M's) in a single step.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

AS&M 1 3/4. Paid 450 for a used set shipped to my door. No Valid dyno numbers.
        Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

I have SLP shorties and Random Tech high flow dual cat Y pipe. About $1000 new for both. About a 25 hp increase with no ground clearance problems associated with long tubes.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys I still haven't decided what I want mainly because I don't understand all the lenghs of them and everything else and I'm a little scared to try to get the manifolds off and them on lol.
            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

tes

i have edelbrock TES headers [ceramic coated]. paid $629 for em. only thing i dont realllly care for is spark plugs take like an extra 10 min to change esp when the headers are hot because of their design. but overall theyre great an no problems really. oh an also does anyone know why edelbrock added TES "tubular exhaust system" to the name of these headers.... arent all exhaust systems tubular! lol

-chris

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33631

I found these on E-bay while looking around and I'm thinking about getting them. Good idea or not?

Comment

Those are the PaceSetter long tubes. Note that the ceramic coating (just about mandatory) and the off-road Y-pipe are "extra", and not included in the auction price.

The "long tube" design headers seem to provide a very good balance for street and track use. They have a couple potential drawbacks:

-the drivers side collector/Y-pipe branch usually reduces ground clearance... a definite problem on lowered cars and a possible problem on others.

-they can not be emissions legal, because they relocate the cat. They will pass the tailpipe part of emissions with a cat or dual cats (not included with the off-road Y-pipe), they will not pass a rigid "visual" inspection, IF the inspector knows what the stock exhaust is supposed to look like. If you don't have local emissions requirements, you will be OK.

-require O2 sensor harness extensions (as do some mid-length designs).

I think the PaceSetters have become very popular because of their low price. Competing systems would be the Hooker SuperComp LTs (no emissions connections or O2 bungs), FLP (a complete system, fully coated, including Y-pipe and dual bullet drop-out cats - but pricey at $1,200), Jet-Hot and TPIS.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

QTP (Quick Time Performance) has a very nice stainless steel set up. They are a bit pricey but the performance and fit is well worth it. A long tube set will run you $799, there some dyno #'s out there showing the increases over the SLP, Kooks, FLP and some others. If I remember right the Kooks set up was the closet out of them all. Also they are available with a electric cut out set up or cats if needed. They are worth looking into.

Good luck with your purchase
                    Ryan
                    Ryan
                    Owner of-
                    UMI Performance Inc-
                    Manufacture of:
                    F-body Chassis & Suspension Upgrades

sales@umiperformance.com

www.umiperformance.com

Comment

I have SLP shorties and got them for about $565 from SLP. I did feel a increase in power across the powerband but I also had the Loudmouth installed at the same time. If I could do it again I would have gone with long tubes with emissions hook ups and high flow cats.
                      97 SS #C007
                      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

The SLP Shorties for the 96-97 cars works very well with the random dual cat ypipe.
                        The TPiS longtube setup I have now is better but only by another 10 hp or so.
                        I put the TPiS's in because of the supercharger.
                        Too many people badmouth the SLP shorties wheras the restriction is in the factory ypipe.
                        97 Z28 Vert A4, TPiS Longtubes, Motive 3.73, Powerdyne 6 psi S/C w/ bypass valve, Mad Z28 PCM tune, MSD 6A, #30 SVO Injectors, custom Random dual cat y-pipe. Magnaflow, factory SS rear spoiler w RS skirt kit, Cragar Classic 5 spokes, Line lock, Transgo shift kit,Gearvendors .78 Overdrive for highway.

Comment

Working...
                        X