Rear wheel spacers on 1982 Z28?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel spacers on 1982 Z28?

My uncle's 1982 Z has factory wheel spacers in the rear. He is the original owner and the car is 100% stock with 39K miles. I was shocked to see them, and questioned if they were original. They have factory clips on them over the studs. The car has original brakes on it, it has never been molested so my question is "why are they there"?????
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Its sort of "fuzzy" in my memory, but the 3rd Gens had a weird situation with the different "track" width on the front end and the rear axle. As a result, some of them had different offsets on the front and rear wheels (a problem, since the tires couldn't be "rotated"), and some had wheels with the same offset, and the spacers. I know the 3rd Gen rear axle assembly is 3" narrower than the 4th. Not sure how the front compares, but I believe if you want to use 4th Gen wheels on a 3rd Gen (at least some of them) you might need 1.5" spacers in the front and 2.5" spacers in the rear.

Remember..... I'm an old fart with a fuzzy memory, but I think that is the situation.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, you nailed it.

Problem is, there's other stuff that is fuzzy.

Comment

Thanks guys. As always a good answer from the forum. I'll pass that info along to my uncle.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
        X