Wheels or a couple bolt-ons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels or a couple bolt-ons?

I'm having a tough time deciding what to do, my car is in the shop right now getting the ultra z hood on, ( get it back tues. can't wait) and originally I was going to right away get some zo6 wheels to complete the new look. Now I'm starting to think more about a couple bolt-ons gmmg exhaust and slp cold air intake to be exact, what would you guys do get the wheels or go for more performance, I only have about $1400 to spend! what bolt-on mods are the very best for my price range to get right away, the car is completely stock except for k&n and now the hood. Any opinions would be appreciated. THANKS

I've always been a performance oriented guy, so I'd vote bolt-ons. For $1400 you should be able to get a cold air intake and complete exhaust (headers, y-pipe, cat-back) if you go with the right companies. Or you could do Cold air intake, cat-back, and gears... you have lots of options....
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

there's nothing worse than turning heads and then getting beat in a race. with all the new turbo'd sport compacts and such that can hang with us f-bodys i would be more performance oriented. headers and exhaust will make a big difference and help the gains of future mods.
      93 black trans am (under construction)
      cheap gas

Comment

Make it go Fast before you make it Look Fast

Go with the bolts on having a great looking car is nice but not really for driving enjoyment you cant see the rims while your driving but youll feel the power.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
          I've always been a performance oriented guy, so I'd vote bolt-ons. For $1400 you should be able to get a cold air intake and complete exhaust (headers, y-pipe, cat-back) if you go with the right companies. Or you could do Cold air intake, cat-back, and gears... you have lots of options....
          Assuming the Ultra-Z hood he just installed is functional, he won't need CAI.

I'd go for the rims/tires. Myself, i'm not a huge racer. I dont really drive around trying to pick a fight. When i pick mods I go for what will improve the driving experience in general. The 17" rims will improve overall handling and looks. The hood looks awsome and helps performance too. both good early mods.

My next mod is going to be a Hurst shifter. Chrome stick with a white ball to match the white guages I installed last month. After that... maybe the Ultra-Z hood, and after that a nice 3" catback to improve sound, looks and performance. I'm not sure if I ever need to do headers although it is a possibility if I can find the right ones, and I dont want to sacrafice any gas mileage with different gears.

If you just want to go as fast as possible right now... skip the rims and do headers, Y-pipe and catback first. You can always do appearance and handling mods later. I dont see myself challenged on the road enough to do it in that order. You may see it differently than me.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            Assuming the Ultra-Z hood he just installed is functional, he won't need CAI.
            The way I read his posts, it's not functional.
            Dave M
            Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
              The way I read his posts, it's not functional.
              Good point. If that is the case, the first thing I'd do is get the kit to make it functional. No sense in having a fake hoodscoop on a Z.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Obvious choice. Go with the bolt-ons. New wheels do give the car a whole new look, but you will not be able to get over the ear to ear grin on your face from doing gears, exhaust, and a CAI. Just do it!

Comment

Working...
                X