Help With Fuel Pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Fuel Pump

I just purchased a 77 Trans Am. It has the 6.6L 400 under the hood. The problem is it was converted to an electronic fuel pump, that starves the engine. I went and got a mechanical pump but I don't know what way it goes in cause I didn't take the old one out. I don't want to ruin the new one, so any help will be muchly appreciated.

Get a Chilton's or Hayes repair manual from your local parts store. It should explain in detail how it goes in.

If it is a mechanical pump, it should install on the passenger side of the block towards the front of the motor. There should be an opening that looks like the connecting side of the fuel pump on the block. You might want to see if the bolts that hold the pump to the block are there, otherwise you'll need a parts run to your local hardware store. There should be a thick steel rod which is manipulated by the cam to push down on the fuel pump lever, but not knowing what the previous owner did to the car, you might have to purchase one from your local auto parts store. The rod needs some type of thick automotive grease to hold it into the block while you install the pump.

The manual will be your best friend.
    96 T/A - Modded
    87 Caprice - Stock

Comment

On the Pontiac motor, the pump is on the drivers side, front of the motor. There is most likely a block off plate where the pump used to be. Take off the plate and install the pump with a new gasket. There is no steel rod on the Pontiac motor, only on the chevy. There is a "lever" that is part of the fuel pump. Make sure the pump lever goes underneith the cam lobe. The cam lobe drives the pump by moving that lever up and down. WHen you bolt it in, you will feel resistance against the spring loaded lever if it is under the cam where it should be. Take the fuel lines from the electric pump and run them to the mechanical pump and your done! Good luck.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
        On the Pontiac motor, the pump is on the drivers side, front of the motor. There is most likely a block off plate where the pump used to be. Take off the plate and install the pump with a new gasket. There is no steel rod on the Pontiac motor, only on the chevy. There is a "lever" that is part of the fuel pump. Make sure the pump lever goes underneith the cam lobe. The cam lobe drives the pump by moving that lever up and down. WHen you bolt it in, you will feel resistance against the spring loaded lever if it is under the cam where it should be. Take the fuel lines from the electric pump and run them to the mechanical pump and your done! Good luck.
        Thank you for your help, hopefully it goes in smooth.

Comment

Let me know how you do!
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
          X