air pump.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air pump.

i was just wondering if I could pull the air pump off of my car. i have a functional ram air hood that has no provision for the hose that runs from the air pump any way so it is not working. i just taped off the end so nothing would get in there but it is just hanging there other than thAT
    1994 Trans Am GT
    http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
    Ram Air hood and airbox
    headers
    exhaust
    lowered 2"
    underdrive pully
    sloted rotors
    electric water pump
    air foil
    denso plugs
    taylor wires
    tinted windows
    eagle rims
    2000 watt stereo

i pulled mine off my 93 ta with no problems or codes. it may be a little different with the 94+ models
    93 black trans am (under construction)
    cheap gas

Comment

The AIR system only runs for a few minutes at startup to help heat the cats faster. If you delete the system, will not set a code in 93-95, as long as you have a good fuse in the circuit. Removing the system does not improve performance, other than saving maybe 7# of weight.

The stock WS6 and SLP Ram Air HO airboxes have a connection for the AIR pump air supply on the lower 1/2 of the box.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You could put a little air filter on that AIR pump intake hose, if you wanted to keep it.
        Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

so it is seven pounds of dead weight that does nothing. i think i will let it go if i am not going to set a code or anything. oh yeah i just got my cord so i can hook up to my laptop with a scanner
          1994 Trans Am GT
          http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/208684/1
          Ram Air hood and airbox
          headers
          exhaust
          lowered 2"
          underdrive pully
          sloted rotors
          electric water pump
          air foil
          denso plugs
          taylor wires
          tinted windows
          eagle rims
          2000 watt stereo

Comment

Its 7# of equipment that helps reduce emissions. That is actually of value to some people. I kept ALL the emissions equipment intact on my 800HP stroker, as long as the car was street driven. And, it would pass NJ rolling emissions with the dual 3" CarSound cats. Only when the car was taken off the street, did I remove the AIR pump.

Sort of a "personal preference" thing.....
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I still have my AIR to on my 89, heck I even bought my headers with the AIR attachments so I keep it, And I dont even have emissions testing in alberta!

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade
              Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
              In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

yeah, i think it's a good idea to keep all that stuff intact....just because a certain area doesn't require emissions testing right now, doesn't mean they won't start.

and how far up the creek will you be after you spend a ton of money modding your ride without the emissions stuff when they enact emissions testing? if you don't have the money right then & there to put the emissions stuff back on, you could be pretty screwed.

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Working...
                X