start my own business?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start my own business?

I've toyed with the idea of starting my own business for a long time now. I've gone so far as to register a name with the state and have paid my business "taxes" every quarter, although I never owe any taxes because my "business" doesn't have any sales. I've also got a credit card in the business' name that I could use as start-up capital. Right now I'm just sitting on this stuff while I decide what I want to do.

What I really would like to do is buy a garage and open my own performance shop, but because that is beyond my means at the moment I was thinking of just doing small engine repair in my spare time. Repairing and doing maintanance on things like lawn mowers, riding mowers, snow blowers, trimmers, tillers, etc... These small engines are very simple with only basic parts and no computers to get in the way. Very easy to diagnose and fix problems and easy to work on.

Another option I was thinking about is as a service provider for the retail grocery industry but I won't get into the idea here because it's not remotely car-related. It would, however, have the possibilty of growing bigger and faster than my small engine idea because I feel I would be the only one out there that would provide this particular service. The problem would be convincing stores they need it.

What do you guys think? Especially of my small engine repair idea.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Do some research on some less expensive advertising options like the phone book, local papers, etc. Get some good looking business cards and post them at the front of grocery stores. Make some flyers and hit small businesses. I thought about doing an pick up and delivery oil change business. Target rich neighborhoods if you want to try that.

See what happens. I did that with my "landscape" business and ended up with about 80 lawns a week.

Chances are you will get at least a couple of calls and you can develop leads from there. Good luck.

96 TA Sold!
    87 TA Sold!
    80 Z28 Sold!
    74 Formula Sold!
    73 Z28 Sold!
    69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

the "be your own boss" idea is always great. I got my own company (office supplies)...but not sure if the small engine repair idea would fly. Unless there's a big demand for engine repairs, I'm not sure if there's enough volume to justify a business like that.

Would it be cheaper to fix or buy a new one??? That's what I'd ask myself if I was the consumer.

Ask yourself what consumers need...and work off that. Businesses, no matter the size, location or type...needs office supplies. Throw in hundreds of thousands of business (volume) just in Georgia alone and there's the $$$.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

A friends dad has a very lucrative business in small engine repair. It has taken a long time to get there and his growth has peaked. He moved into a retail store front and it was too much expense for the volume he did (or didn't do) and had to go back to his shop working at his house, which was were it always was. The other thing to consider is this type of work can be quite seasonal... Few people think in the middle of winter gee I wonder how my mower is going to run next year. I assume you will have some snow blower business etc since it looks like you are in PA (not much use for them around Dallas) but I would imagine the majority would still come from lawn equipment. I am not knocking your idea in any way, just throwing things out there.
        NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
        (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

i dont think the mower repair buisness is a good idea
          Miss My Bird

Comment

My cousin owns 'Ideal Landscapes' and they have quite a few mowers, but usually when they go out (beyond their repair)... they just replace em. It might be a good idea if you could find nicer condition broken ones - just repair it... spray a little paint - you have a new mower to sell.

GOOD LUCK.
            99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

Anyone want to provide the start-up capital for my performance shop? I've got a name and location picked out! Being in Carlisle with the car-shows, I've picked out some land for sale right along the main drag where everyone sits for hours trying to get to the fairgrounds... what better place for a car enthusiasts' performance shop!
              Dave M

Comment

what you should do is swap meets. im a marine mechanic by trade an i buy older 2 stroke outboards on ebay or find in local classifieds rebuildable outboards/ marine motors cheap rebuild em an go to swap meets every now an then and make some mean $. i def think its a good idea to try to start your own business... the only thing is though, do u know anything about 2 stroke motors which are most commonly found in weed wackers mowers etc?

-chris

Comment

I haven't worked on two-strokes nearly as much, but I've been reading up on it.

I've actually got lots of ideas, and can't really decide what I'd like to try since, if it takes off, I could be doing it the rest of my life. I'd like something I can try in my spare time at first to see if I like it and can make money at it. Although, I KNOW I'd like putting performance parts on cars for a living! Anybody ready to write that check yet?
                  Dave M

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                    Anyone want to provide the start-up capital for my performance shop? I've got a name and location picked out! Being in Carlisle with the car-shows, I've picked out some land for sale right along the main drag where everyone sits for hours trying to get to the fairgrounds... what better place for a car enthusiasts' performance shop!
                    If it's in a prime location than the rent would probably make you like a 4 year old girl......that is if you're renting it.
                    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                    SOLD- Good riddance!
                    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

One idea I had....but never implemented....was to provide home care service for power equipment, mainly lawn mowers. Instead of asking customers to bring in their equipment, I would outfit a step van to do oil changes, blade sharpening and replacements, and tuneups as well as minor repairs. That way you can go to the customer and do the work at their house. I would imagine it can generate a lot of repeat business especially from those who aren't too handy and don't want (or cant) to haul their equipment to a shop. By maintaining a customer list you could easily get repeat business and hopefully do a lot of your work during off season also by giving these same customers "winter specials". This is something you could start part time in the evenings and on weekends. If you advertise this service, I think you will have more work than you can handle. The capital outlay would be minimal to start out and the small engine shop could be started later to complement the home business. By way of explanation, I once was looking at purchasing a Cub Cadet dealership and the Home Service was high on my list of ideas to implement in conjunction with the shop. (I never went thru with the purchase).

If you try it, let me know how it works out.
                      Dave S
                      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
                        One idea I had....but never implemented....was to provide home care service for power equipment, mainly lawn mowers. Instead of asking customers to bring in their equipment, I would outfit a step van to do oil changes, blade sharpening and replacements, and tuneups as well as minor repairs. That way you can go to the customer and do the work at their house. I would imagine it can generate a lot of repeat business especially from those who aren't too handy and don't want (or cant) to haul their equipment to a shop. By maintaining a customer list you could easily get repeat business and hopefully do a lot of your work during off season also by giving these same customers "winter specials". This is something you could start part time in the evenings and on weekends. If you advertise this service, I think you will have more work than you can handle. The capital outlay would be minimal to start out and the small engine shop could be started later to complement the home business. By way of explanation, I once was looking at purchasing a Cub Cadet dealership and the Home Service was high on my list of ideas to implement in conjunction with the shop. (I never went thru with the purchase).

If you try it, let me know how it works out.
                        That's an excellent idea, and I too have thought about doing something like that. A lot of people don't have the capability to drop off power equipment to a shop, especially things like riding mowers and snow blowers. I'll think about it. I need a new car, maybe my next one will be a van or truck of some sort!
                        Dave M

Comment

Working...
                        X