X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealerships safe??

As some may know that responded to my last post.-

http://www.f-body.com/index.html/sho...=&threadid=602

I am having some problems with my car. The only place i can really think of and might trust to work on it is a chevy dealership. Being around a military base is horrible because you can't trust anyone, so I'm thinking if i bring it to a dealership maybe 30 miles out or so in a different town my car should be safer than around Ft Bragg. Any one have good luck/bad luck at a dealership when it comes to motor work on an LS1?
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

im curious? i grew up a military brat......and served in the military also. why is it you cant trust anyone living near a military base?

we never had that problem........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I think he is referring to garages around the base who try to gouge you with high prices because they know you are in the military by that base sticker on your car. The thinking is that the military member has a check coming in every 2 weeks and if he doesnt pay, they can just easily contact your chain of command and cause all sorts of problems for you.

Is that your concern whip?? Maybe sort of? I dont know. Thats what I was thinking.

But independant dealerships around the base sell cars to E-1-3's who make very little money and just want a car. These cars are normally well used and more often than not have salvage titles. I have known a couple people who bought cars like that and had all sorts of problems with them.
      1998 Trans Am. Hooker LT's, Hooker ORY, MTI Ported Throttle Body, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow Catback, Front and Rear 1LE Sway Bars, Hotchkis STB, and a little more.

Comment

I think dealerships sometimes get an unfair bad rap in these situations. I agree that many places treat military people exaclty as described in the previous post becuase they know they are a steady pay or yu can raise hell through their commander.

But dealerships are like any other garage--some very good, some very bad. Talk to friedns and neighbors and get their recommednations. I have never been treated badly by a dealer (except one who said teh clutch was shot on my daughter's car at 30,000, and she went on to drive it another 80,000 miles with no problems.)

Soemtimes it's an educated guess, but you can get great service at a dealership.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Personaly, I've found more than a few good places around military bases. I haven't been to Ft. Bragg before though, so I can't say about that area.

About dealerships, well, I don't have a high opinion of them generally. Not saying there aren't good ones. But almost all my experiences have been sub par. The expample I always pull out is the one that wanted to replace my engine for what turned out to be an exhaust leak. I even talked to the manager before I left and they would NOT believe me even when I told them what it was. Another one I took my car in to have some minor interior work done under warrenty....well I didn't know it wasn't covered and instead of telling me they did the work (that I could have done myself) and charged me for it. Not only that, they generally charge more for similar work. I also get the feeling at a dealership that I'm on an assembly line. Many times they will not let you talk to the mechanic...that's downright rude I think.

True, independent garages are hit or miss, but when you find a good one I'd trust it over any dealership.

[edit] Check Camaroz28.com for some recomendations. I found an awesome garage near me through that site. Also check for more performance oriented garages. You may have a better chance that way.
          Joe K.
          '11 BMW 328i
          '10 Matrix S AWD
          Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

On the rare occation that I don't feel like fixing something myself or it was under warranty, I haven't had any problems with a dealership. Then again when I take the car in, I tell them to "fix (insert defective part here)". I never just tell them a few symptoms and let them try to duplicate the problem. I diagnose it myself, provide the diagnostic steps and results along with a description of exactly what part I want fixed. Occationally some smart @$$ service coordinator would give me a hard time, suggesting that I should leave it to the professionals. It is at that moment that I burn him with technical info and supporting data that shuts them up within seconds. When you are armed to the teeth with knowledge of the problem, repair parts needed as well as a rough time estimate, they don't try to pull the wool over your eyes. The only times I've run into problems have been with small repair shops who publish cheap labor rates, and seem to be able to squeeze your car into the shop at a moment's notice. That suggests that they do not have a loyal following, the shop is mostly empty and people avoid the shop like the plague. Searching for a personal mechanic/shop is much like having a tooth pulled without novacaine. Also snoop around at the shop. There is no excuse for a cruddy, dirty shop with parts and tools thrown about like they don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              On the rare occation that I don't feel like fixing something myself or it was under warranty, I haven't had any problems with a dealership. Then again when I take the car in, I tell them to "fix (insert defective part here)".
              That's a good tip. I should remember that one. I'm no mechanic though. Maybe I've just had bad luck of the draw...I don't know. I'd love to find a dealership that I'd be satisfied with though....

I still can't get over them telling me I need a new engine....
              ....Chevy Dealership off of Western Branch Blvd in Chesapeake, VA....DO NOT go there.

Anyway, point is just because it's a Chevy dealership don't assume they know the LS1 engine.

Boy, I could've saved myself some typing if I had just come out and said that.
              Joe K.
              '11 BMW 328i
              '10 Matrix S AWD
              Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

replies to questions

To answer everyones questions lets see...

What someone said about the whole cars for sale for lower enlisted is entirely true. In NC there are no lemon laws or interest rate laws, thats why i bought mine in NY. Most people around here are real shady when it comes to anything. Most people do not like the military and take for granted everything we've done for the country. Being in the 82nd Airborne Division doesn't help matters at all because this division is generally more rowdy than any other units, most of us having served over seas for the war or serving now. The locals know this and have a good idea we make double our pay overseas every month, so intern the jack up the prices radiculously and for example i went in to a shop to price some rims and i asked how much they were and he was like 129 a month, and i wanted to know the total price upfront and he said we don't take cash, we only finance, so i left.

When it comes to the car im weary of bringing it anywhere because all i ever hear is horror stories here in fayetteville, or fayettenam as we call it. And i would love to be able to tell them fix this "part", but i have no clue as to what it is. I noticed the power steering pump is making some noise, but not sure if that is the culprit of the problem, if it is, i'll do it myself no big deal.

Can i run the car withour the serp belt on? Won't it not run?

Financial situation is not a problem to get it fixed, i got the cash so them contacting my chain of command or whatever is not a concern, im afraid ill take it in and it will be worse than it went in when it comes out. For example i went to a shop to get that trailer hitch that was on my car for absolutely no practical reason, but the sign at this shop said, we are not liable for anything missing out of the car, including radios stereos etc... so i stood and watched.

Im trying to find some people that have been there a while, but they all drive old crappy cars and never fix them.

Any other questions or opinions, ask or please write back.

Comment

Re: replies to questions

Originally posted by hotwhip9
                  Can i run the car withour the serp belt on? Won't it not run?

It will run just fine, just not for too long. The belt powers the accessories like the power steering pump, water pump (LS1 not LT1), and alternator. It is a standard practice when diagnosing accessory noise to remove the belt and start the engine. The battery will provide enough juice for short running times in just this instance. Just don't expect to be able to drive any distance this way.

Comment

results of no belt

Results after running it with out a belt are, well i'm clueless. It's not the powersteering pump. That's all i know,i called places like firestone and goodyear and midas and asked them if they knew of any good shops and they all refered me to "ken's muffler and engine". I gave them a call, im going to eat the 45 bucks to have it towed, so i don't do more damage to the car and they said they can look at it tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well for my baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X