Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update: Advice needed (desperately), please. This is getting interesting, folks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update: Advice needed (desperately), please. This is getting interesting, folks.

Please bear with me, as this is a continuation of the similarly titled thread below (for which I thank Rob for his expert insights).

Here's the situation: My 1998 Trans Am has had a slight rough idle ever since I took delivery of it just over 6 years ago. I figured that's just the way it ran. But lately I've noticed a slight stumble and a slight spark knock when the accelerator is pushed.

Yesterday, I was working around the engine and pressed up slightly on the tube that connects the EGR valve with the manifold (connects right behind the throttle body on the '98-'99 Trans Am) and suddenly I get a very rough idle.

But wait, there's more!

Looking at the tube where it connects to the manifold, I see that it is held down by only one bolt. The flange has a second hole in it for a second bolt, but there is nothing for a second bolt to screw into!

Pressing down on the tube smoothed the idle.

Before taking the car to the Pontiac dealer's service area, I stopped by their parts department and confirmed that there are supposed to be two bolts and no gasket or grommet (confirming what Rob had told me).

Now here's where it gets good.

I drove the car around to the service area, explained the problem, and they confirmed the vacuum leak. Then they told me that it's only supposed to have one bolt and maybe it needs an "O" ring.

Sounds fishy to me. Why have a flange with provisions for two bolts, but a manifold that can accept only one? If you have any experience with this or can offer suggestions, please respond.
    R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

GM software

I have the GM software that should show a picture etc. Its on a differnet hard drive about 50 miles away. I will try to get the info for you latter today.

Comment

I can't answer your question but the EGR stuff is part of emmission controls which is under separate warranty for 100,000 miles. Your dealer should fix your problem at no cost to you if you are under 100K.
      Dave S
      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks guys. The car has about 25,500 miles on it.
        R.i.K.

'98 WS6 TA (white, of course!), Hurst Billet/Plus shifter, BBK intake manifold, McGard “blue-ring” lug nuts (12x1.5), PowerSlot brake rotors, Hawk brake pads, Stainless steel braided brake lines, Pontiac arrow, Hotchkis strut tower brace, MBA MAF ends, Reflective Concepts lettering, MTI carbon-fiber look airbox lid . . . and one greying, somewhat eccentric owner.

Comment

EGR

Yeah....it looks like a single bolt is used. In the pic its hard to tell.

Remove the EGR valve. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Replacement .

Remove the EGR pipe to intake manifold bolts.
          Remove the EGR pipe to exhaust manifold bolts.
          Remove the EGR pipe mounting bolts from the right cylinder head.
          Remove the EGR pipe.
          Installation Procedure

Install the EGR pipe.
          Install the EGR pipe to exhaust manifold bolts.
          Install the EGR pipe to intake manifold bolts.
          Install the EGR valve. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Replacement .
          Attached Files

Comment

Federal warranty

The emissions warranty information is all wrong. Thats been gone almost 10 years.

The currenty ODBII emissions warranty:

2 years 24,000 miles on components.

8 years 80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and the PCM.

In many cases the 2/24 components are being replaced under the 3/36 vehicle warranty. But the dealers dont have too...technically.

Comment

Originally posted by logandiagnostic
              The emissions warranty information is all wrong. Thats been gone almost 10 years.

The currenty ODBII emissions warranty:

2 years 24,000 miles on components.

8 years 80,000 miles on the catalytic converter and the PCM.

In many cases the 2/24 components are being replaced under the 3/36 vehicle warranty. But the dealers dont have too...technically.
              Very interesting.......what about other components like O2 sensors and IAC's, etc?
              Dave S
              2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

components

Thats is what I mean, everything except the PCM and the catyalic converter.

2 year 24k on O2s, MAF, everything.

Comment

more info

Not that you have to believe me. But I did find this on the AAA Illinois website. I was really trying to find the EPA website.....

WARRANTIES: Review your vehicle's warranty. All car emissions system components are covered for 2 years/24,000 miles; many manufacturers extend the coverage to 3 years/ 36,000 miles. U.S. EPA requires an 8 year/80,000 mile warranty for the catalytic converter and onboard computer for all 1996 and newer vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                  X