LT1->LS1 Swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1->LS1 Swap

This might be a bizarre question, but my mileage is getting up there on my LT1. If I ever blow up my engine or something. Is it possible to swap an LS1 into the car in place of the LT1?

If so, how many special mods would be needed in order to make that work? How much does an LS1 go for and where would you get an engine? Thanks!
    1994 Formula
    3.23's
    Moroso Cold Air Intake
    G2 High Flow MAF
    Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
    1LE Intake Elbow
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

Check out www.tacreationsusa.com and www.hpsalvage.com. Here is a website where a guy swapped an LS1 into an LT1 style v6 fbody(not exactly your setup but might find it useful). http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/ he is also the guy who owns hptuners, the editing software.
    Hope that helps.
    Shane
    2000 Pewter Y87 Six
    1972 Chevelle SS454
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1

Comment

Possible...well, anything's possible. Problem is cost. The engine alone runs about $5K. You'll need to replace the tranny, ecm, and various other electronic components. You're better off stroking the LT1. An LT1 to LS1 gets you a conservative 50 hp. A stroker LT1 nets about the same. However, add heads and cam work and you're looking at a conservative 100 hp increase at about the same cost as the swap. It's not usually feasible to do a swap unless you can get the LS1 cheap. Now, an LS6 swap makes sense...if you got the cash. However, take a look at what an LS6 crate will cost you...it's about the same as the LS1

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...120&pid=153743
      Al 96 Ram Air T/A
      Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

Hey thanks for the info and the reply! I didn't realize that a Z06 Engine costs about the same as an LS1. That'd definately make for an interesting swap. I wonder if anyone has actually put an LS6 in their f-body...I'd be interested to find out if it would fit/what mods needed to be made. Very interesting.

You might just be right about going with a 383...I am just getting sick of burning up Opti's.

Anyways thanks again.
        1994 Formula
        3.23's
        Moroso Cold Air Intake
        G2 High Flow MAF
        Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
        1LE Intake Elbow
        Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
        NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

Comment

If your interested I believe the guy at Billy Grahm's salvage said they had a few longblocks for sale w/ about 5 miles on them. He said most of them were pulled from new vette's and they were selling for 3500$ I believe. It's probably worth looking into. I was down there about a month ago so I could be a little off.
          98 z-71 silverado white
          93 trans am, green, a4, 96 trans am motor swap in progress

Comment

Also add to list - K-member and motor mounts, radiator and support, taller hood (??), replace fuel system (LT1 is 43.5psi "recirculated" thru rails, LS1 is 58psi dead-ended at rails), exhaust.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

$5K for an engine is a little high. The website I listed has complete pullout(engine, tranny, pcm)engines for $2800 a little bit more for some lower mileage ones. Like I was saying I could have bought an 02 LS1 with 5K miles for $3500. You could soup that up with the extra $1500 you were talking about.
              I think you can get the components for a stroker for around $3K but how much would machining and labor run plus better heads? How much would a 396 cost? Also what would these engine be like for a daily driver?
              Shane
              2000 Pewter Y87 Six
              1972 Chevelle SS454
              http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1

Comment

i also notice that vette LS1's and LS6's the altenator is on top...whereas, ours on the bottom...you think clearance would be a problem??? Relocation of the altenator if you get your hands on a LS6??? Just wondering...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Working...
                X