Conversion kit to ditch the opti

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion kit to ditch the opti

I remember reading somewhere that there was a total conversion kit that replaces the optispark. I've been searching and can't seem to find it. Would someone be able to send over a link...also has anyone used it?
    1994 Formula
    3.23's
    Moroso Cold Air Intake
    G2 High Flow MAF
    Flowmaster Exhaust w/ High-Flo Cat
    1LE Intake Elbow
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    NGK TR55's, Accel High Performance Coil, Accel Extreme Wires

There was a kit back in the late 90's, made by Electromotive. Is was called the Super Direct Ignition/Opti-Eliminator (SDI/O-E). I had one on my 94. It was "fair". Since it only had a crank position sensor, it couldn't correctly phase the injectors in the sequential order on the 94 and newer models. IT would have worked fine on a 93, with batch fire injection.

I ran it for a couple of years.. I could spray a hose on the front of the engine and not hurt anything. But E'motive only made/sold about 20 of the units, and then stopped making them to try and solve the "sequential" injection issues.

Since then, an outfit called Dynaspark has come out with a billet Opti that is supposed to last longer. LTCC has been developed, using the Opti optical sensor output to feed a black box that fires 8 LS1 coils, and Delteq has come out with a system that uses the Opti optical signals to feed a Northstar ignition system, using 4-coils in "waste spark" configuration. Delteq - interestingly, the "engineer" is the same guy who worked at Electromotive - claims to be coming out with a FULL Opti replacement "any day".... but its been at least 6 months since they said that.

A few of us use the Opti cam postion signals to feed after market ECU's. I have 8 LS1 coils, with a MoTeC M48Pro and the MoTeC IEX 8-channel ignition driver. The same MoTeC setup was used on what was for 2 years the quickest, most powerful LT1 on the planet. Getting the high voltage function out of the Opti case seems to extend its life. It is an EXCELLENT cam position sensor.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

It seems like everyone hates this optispark system. Why weren't they recalled if they're so bad?
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Im glad I have a distributer after hearing about all the opti POS

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
          It seems like everyone hates this optispark system. Why weren't they recalled if they're so bad?
          Originally posted by DeWynter
          Im glad I have a distributer after hearing about all the opti POS
          The opti in my T/A lasted about 90,000 miles, still worked, but I needed to change the cap & rotor. I put a new one on. The Opti in my Roadmaster went 150,000 miles, still worked, but I needed to change the cap & rotor. I change the cap & rotor on the 150,000 unit and it is still working great. I haven't had any problems with them.
          '77 K5 rock-crawler project
          '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
          '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
          '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
          '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
          My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Opti has 2 parts. The first part is the distributor. How many of you have run a "conventional" distributor for 100-150K miles without replacing the cap and rotor? The Opti was intended to last that long, without replacing the parts. Many of them have fulfilled that design.

The second part of the Opti is the cam position sensor. That is a VERY precise device, that allows the engine to operate with a very low "spark scatter"..... more performance with less emissions. Better fuel mileage. Its one of the reasons the LT1 engine is the seemingly unique combination of power and mileage that it is.

When it works, it is one hell of a distributor.

A couple of "bad" decisions on GM's part:
            -poor seal on harness connector (that's where if leaks)
            -weak bearing
            -low grade carbon steel retainer for the bearing that rusts and helps "blind" the optical sensor.

GM did not "invent" the Opti.... they copied it from Mitsubishi/Chrysler. They used in in the 3L V6 Mitsu/Diamond Star motors in the late 1980's. To my knowledge, Mitsu/Chrysler never had the same problems. They just had the common sense to put their version in the same top-o'-the-engine location as a "conventional" unit. But GM apparently decided it wouldn't fit with the engine so far under the cowl.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X