Siezed LS1 - revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siezed LS1 - revisited

Hey guys, it is me again with an update. Last week I reported to you gentleman that my engine had possibly siezed. All replies set my mind at ease as all indications pointed to an electrical problem at that point. Well, just hung up the phone with the GM dealer in town. They are asking me to produce maintenance records because they believe it is indeed siezed. At that point I asked, "did you scan the computer?" The response, "well no, not yet. We put a boost on it and it won't turn over." I inquired if there was not a more effective means of diagnosing an engine problem this day in age. The service advisor said that they were going top put a breaker bar on the end of the crank and see if it will spin over by hand. Does something not seem quite right here? I did not want to start getting pushy as I am a parts technician not a mechanic.

Any and all input would be appreciated at this point.

Jamie Stringer

well the breaker bar method is probably the esiest way to determine if its seized, or if ther is some kind of breakage in the engine that is preventing it from turning. I think that running the scanner on it is only going to tell you what might be wrong with the electronics. I guess if they can hear the starter engage but not see the motor turn or hear it turn then if I was in their position I would assume a sieze or somthing broken preventing it from turning too. Just an opinion. If it does not turn then they can move on from there.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
      well the breaker bar method is probably the esiest way to determine if its seized, or if ther is some kind of breakage in the engine that is preventing it from turning. I think that running the scanner on it is only going to tell you what might be wrong with the electronics. I guess if they can hear the starter engage but not see the motor turn or hear it turn then if I was in their position I would assume a sieze or somthing broken preventing it from turning too. Just an opinion. If it does not turn then they can move on from there.
      Exactly what he said. It should be able to be turned over by hand with a breaker bar.
      Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

I just thought that this day in age, there were a little more sophistocated. OBD II? Seeing as how the SES light was flashing before it failed, it had to be throwing codes, no? I guess we will just have to wait and see. i will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input.

Jamie

Comment

does the car not have to be running on 93' plus like the 86'-92' to retrive codes?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Codes at this point won't mean much. The rotating assembly must be able to spin before anything else will be of any meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by 09851
              I just thought that this day in age, there were a little more sophistocated. OBD II? Seeing as how the SES light was flashing before it failed, it had to be throwing codes, no? I guess we will just have to wait and see. i will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input.

Jamie

The OBD system wont tell you if the engine is seized. THe PCM does not monitor mechanical things such as oil pressure, fuel pressure, broken internals, etc. Putting a bar on the crank is the method that I would use.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
              X