Safety First...Lesson Learned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety First...Lesson Learned

I've been tied up the last couple of days.

My cousin's husband was seriously injured while working on his Excursion. He's a welder and uses his truck for work. It's fully loaded with over 1000 lbs. of equipment. While attempting to repair an exhaust manifold leak, he was lying underneath the vehicle with his legs straddling either side of the front passenger wheel. He needed to gain access to the piping so he disconnected the driveshaft. Unfortunately, he had a mental lapse and forgot that the rear wheels were only locked because the driveshaft was holding them in place. When he broke the connection, the rear wheels were free to spin causing the truck to roll. The tire rolled over his right thigh, across his crotch , and stopped on his lower abdomen. My cousin, hearing his screams, ran outside with her two small children to find him. She managed to back her truck into the Ford, and push it off of her husband. Because the truck's driveshaft was loose, it grabbed his head, shoving it into the transmission tunnel. She had to jack up the rig to free him. He managed to crawl out and pass out on the lawn.

Long story short, he is expected to live but has severe injuries. Crushed pelvis, broken leg, ribs, severe lacerations on his face, back, hip, and thigh, and possible internal bleeding as of this time. Amazingly, the truck stopped partially because of his mass (he's about 6' 5'', 245) and his right steel toed boot getting wedged under the tire when it rolled.

Lesson learned...he's been a machinist/mechanic for over twenty years. He thought everything was "planned out" but he grew complacent over the years and failed to use suitable wheel chocks on all four corners (no, bricks will not hold a nearly 7,500 lb. vehicle) Being a Safety Engineer myself, I too have to remind myself to practice what I preach. You need to plan two steps ahead, especially in situations where one slip of a jack or chock could mean you life. ALWAYS use a backup to the primary, at least it will give you a few extra seconds should something give way. I've started (about a couple of years ago) using jack stands AND a floor jack when working under my vehicle. If the stands shift, the jack will hold until I can wiggle out.

Luckily, this story "should" have a happy ending. But only because people where in the right place at the right time. I know I rarely am in calling distance for help should somethin like this happen to me. Maybe now, I'll start to rethink the process.

Stay safe folks...it only takes one "brain fart" to do you in for good.
    Al 96 Ram Air T/A
    Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

I hope for a happy ending to the story. That makes you think. Kinda scary.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

my God Al. thats terrible. lets all say a prayer for this man and his family.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

That is a terrible accident, I hope he will be ok. My Condolences.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Update:

Things are looking very good. The trauma team at Robert Wood Johnson hospital is top notch. He is currently recovering and being observed for internal bleeding.

I really appreciate all the warm wishes...it means alot.
          Al 96 Ram Air T/A
          Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

wow, that sucks .i hope everything turns out ok
            Miss My Bird

Comment

I hope he makes a full recovery. Prayer sent. It's scary, because it happens to some of the best people who let their guard down for a small amount of time. I remember one of the mechanics I used to know had a long scar going across his neck. One day I asked someone what happened, and they told me that a jack stand kicked out, and nearly crushed him. Ever since I learned that, it takes me forever to get the stands setup to where I feel confident. Then I get the huge overkill hydraulic jack, just incase. Hope he has a speedy recovery.
              1995 Firebird Formula
              (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

Working...
              X