Supercharge Me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharge Me

I am looking at getting a supercharger for my TPI formula 5.7L. I am unsure of the way to go. I want to go with a procharger or a whipple. Which is better and which is easiest to install, Im thinking the procharger is easier. But the whipple makes power faster. What do you guys recomend and what have you used?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Im looking at doing the same but dont know to much about Whipple. I do know some of the fastest supercharged cars on the tracks use pro charger. Some other people here will give you some better advise but I know procharger is pretty good.

Whipple makes more power? More power always sounds good!

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

The whipple is a great design! read: $$$$$ I still think you may be better off with a centrifugal front mount rather than a roots style.

Comment

Whipple is twin-screw, ain't it?
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

yes a whipple is twin screw but not a roots, uses a completly different setup and requires no after cooler which is a nice feature, but I do not belive I can bolt it on without changing my Intake manifold, and replacing my throttle body. www.whipplesuperchargers.com and www.procharger.com
          Whipple says that their supercharger makes power right from the start of throttle responce, where a procharger dosnt seem to make it intill it winds up.
          overall HP gain is better with a procharger, but a Whipple is the most efficient. They both have pros and cons. Also a procharger requires a intercooler, but its comes in a straight bolt on kit. Choises Choises

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Check out these guys...see what they have to say. http://www.superchargers4less.com/pr...bodyprices.htm I was going to buy my STAGE II INTERCOOLED WITH D-1SC until I decided to build my stock car.
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'd go with the procharger, I know 4 people that have one and I haven't heard one bad thing
              98 trans am ws6 performance package

Comment

Pro charger also has warranty's. I dont know if whipple does.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current

Comment

Although the whipple is not a true roots style, it still mounts in the fashion of a roots.... it is mounted topside.

Comment

If you mount it there wouldnt you have to get a new hood?

current

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
                      yes a whipple is twin screw but not a roots, uses a completly different setup and requires no after cooler which is a nice feature, but I do not belive I can bolt it on without changing my Intake manifold, and replacing my throttle body. www.whipplesuperchargers.com and www.procharger.com
                      Whipple says that their supercharger makes power right from the start of throttle responce, where a procharger dosnt seem to make it intill it winds up.
                      overall HP gain is better with a procharger, but a Whipple is the most efficient. They both have pros and cons. Also a procharger requires a intercooler, but its comes in a straight bolt on kit. Choises Choises
                      Although their twin-screw design may be a little different than the conventional roots type blower, they are still positive displacement blowers. Keep in mind that a a blower like this will destroy your gas mileage on the street. There is much more parasitic drag at the lower RPM's due the additional mass that must be driven by the crank as compared to the transmission and impeller in a centrifugal blower. Also since it is a positve displacement blower, it will be making boost even at lower RPM's which is also not good for gas mileage. You can and should use a bypass valve to help with this characteristic of a positive displacement blower. These type of blowers are also a little whinier and create a lot more vibration.

ProCharger units do not require a aftercooler, they merely suggest using one. The benefits of using an after cooler are far too good to pass up. No matter what method or type of blower you use to supercharge your motor, whenever you compress air, it becomes hotter. With an aftercooler, you are cooling the air thus making it more dense and therfore making more HP. You also significantly reduce the chance of detonation by cooling the incoming air charge. Running an aftercooler also allows for a more aggressive tune. Overall timing can be advanced and the fuel and timing maps can be tuned more aggresively.

Centrifugal is the way to go.

Comment

get centrifugal dude

i got a centrifugal paxton supercharger. its great, it was on the car when i bought it but it looks fairly easy to install. its self lubed so you dont have to worry about running oil from the crankcase. if i was you i would buy a centrifugal kit because your going to need a ignition/boost retard box form msd or mallory. the kit for my paxton the previous owner said was around 3500 but included all brackets msd box and adj boost control knob. it also included a preprogramed fuel map curve in a box called a paxta map fueler which controls three fuel injectors at the throttlebody to compesate for the supercharger under load. that was all included. if i was you i would go with a centrifugal kit.

-chris

Comment

THanks for all the input so far

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                          6.2L/382.97 ci
                          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                          WCT-5 speed
                          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                          Boss MS 18" Rims