Please read.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please read.

Hey guys. It is me again, the brother with the broken LS1. So I stopped by the general's place this morning to see if thier had been any diagnosis. Bad news, the mechanic put it up on the hoist only to find a hole in the block beside the oil filter housing. So there is my answer. Any ideas what may have caused this? I hope i have ruled out lubrication, I was able to produce service records showing oil changes approx. every three thousand kilometres, ,using nothing but Mobil 1 5w30. What else can cause this?

What a way to start the weekend!!

Jamie

Originally posted by 09851
    Hey guys. It is me again, the brother with the broken LS1. So I stopped by the general's place this morning to see if thier had been any diagnosis. Bad news, the mechanic put it up on the hoist only to find a hole in the block beside the oil filter housing. So there is my answer. Any ideas what may have caused this? I hope i have ruled out lubrication, I was able to produce service records showing oil changes approx. every three thousand kilometres, ,using nothing but Mobil 1 5w30. What else can cause this?

What a way to start the weekend!!

Jamie
    a hole in the block. well.......... one of two things...either its a defect in materials and workmanship (warranty) if the block "sprung" a hole... or'..

you threw a rod..and that did it... or some foriegn object thats supposed to be intact and not bouncing around...

wheres the hole? that would help.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I cannot give a very precise location of the hole as I have not seen it for myself yet. The tech said that it was beside the housing. Up high, low, who knows. I will let everybody kno wtho.

Comment

sounds like a thrown rod, s***y deal man. Have you ever had bottom end work done? if so it may have been a un-torqued rod bolt? Broken Rod, seems unlikely unless your running lots a ponies. Was there a puddle of oil under your car when you started it or signs of oil down the length of the car on the under side? Just wondering if it happened while the last time you drove it or if it happened when you started it. If it happened when it was started I would expect a peice of block to be there with little oil spill. How big of a hole was it?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror