Motor Mount Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Mount Question

In the midst of trying to change out my oil pump I came across a strange problem. The LH side motor mount (driver's side) has 3 bolts going into the block. There is another long bolt that goes through the two pieces (block side and chassis side). The nut on this long bolt is right beside one of the bolts that goes to the block. I can't find a way to get a socket or wrench on this nut to keep it in place as I loosen the bolt. I'm sure there is an easy explanation for this, but can't seem to grasp it. Any help would be great.
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Try tweaking the position of the engine with a jack. The mount should flex enough to allow you to access to the head of the bolt. I know that if you lower the rear of the engine, that will do it, but you would need the transmission crossmember unbolted to do that.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

are you taking out the bolts on the engine or the long bolt in the rubber. Cause the ling bolt that runs parrallel to the cars length is the one you want to take out. One on each side and you can lift the engine.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
        are you taking out the bolts on the engine or the long bolt in the rubber. Cause the ling bolt that runs parrallel to the cars length is the one you want to take out. One on each side and you can lift the engine.
        Yes, I'm trying to take out the long bolt going through the rubber. On the back side of this bolt there is a nut. That nut is so close to another bolt (that goes into the block) that I can't get anything on it to keep it from turning. I'll try what you said Rob, and tweak around with the engine. If that don't work I'll just have to wedge somthing in there to keep it from moving and hope I don't mess up the nut (it wouldn't be hard to get a new nut anyway). Thanks for the help, and I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.
        '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

You could try your local tool shop to find a thin wall socket, we have em here at canadian tire for about 10 bucks

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I was able to work a cresent wrench in there just right to hold it.

Comment

Working...
            X