Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the best alarm system for our cars?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the best alarm system for our cars?

I won't a bad experience whit thiefs.
    my Formula has a Viper alarm but I like that call "proximity sensor".
    Can I get just that sensor or I have to get the complete system?

thanks in advance.

You can add the proximity sensor to your Viper alarm. I can't remember how much they cost, but it shouldn't be anymore than $75 installed. Make sure they put it somewhere in the center console or headliner for maximum effect. If they put it in the headliner then something will be compromised, and usually it's the t-tops. I suggest putting it in the console. I'm an installer, so I should know what works best Mine is in the center console mounted on top of the airbag control module, and you can't walk near my car without it chirping. You might be able to talk them into adding a tiny toggle switch to the ground side of it so you can turn it off whenever you don't want it on (like on rainy nights, parking in crowded lots, or at church).
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Where do you install at?

I install auto glass and just saw a really gruesome scene today... this guy's car had been broken into and they ripped everything apart.... the dash the window mouldings the steering column and stole everything... Kind of opened my eyes. I need a top of the line system but am really really particular what would you suggest? And where would you suggest i get it installed at? (i live in pcola) Mike ryans did a Sh@#tty job on my last car and i want this to be perfect.... any suggestions?

Comment

I personally have moved into the cellphone installation business. More money, company truck, less hours, nicer rides You and I are both on GCFBA.org, I'd suggest you ask some of the guys from P'cola where to go. I'm pretty sure they're going to tell you Circuit City, and I'm 100% that of them will recommend Best Buy. I don't personally know of any independent shops in P'cola, sorry.

Comment

I would recomend Hi Fi Buys.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Re: Where do you install at?

Originally posted by 98 z-two-8
            I install auto glass and just saw a really gruesome scene today... this guy's car had been broken into and they ripped everything apart.... the dash the window mouldings the steering column and stole everything... Kind of opened my eyes. I need a top of the line system but am really really particular what would you suggest? And where would you suggest i get it installed at? (i live in pcola) Mike ryans did a Sh@#tty job on my last car and i want this to be perfect.... any suggestions?
            Have any of you seen the Discovery special on the Repo Men? I was in the market for a better alarm, but watching that opened my eyes a bit. If thieves want you car bad enough then they will take it....alarm or no alarm. There's a way around everything and it only takes a few moments if you know what you're doing.

It's amazing what can be done. I sat there and watched as a guy made a key for a big rig on the fly....took him maybe 3 min at most!

An alarm might scare some away, but if they want it then an alarm won't stop them.
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Alarms will slow them down unless they bring a flat bed. My alarm has a wireless remote imobilizer that shuts down the fuel pump. If you don't know it's there, you can't even trace the wires.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

You're right Joe, if anybody wants it bad enough they will get it. The reason for an alarm #1 is to keep the little smash and grab guys away from your car. The last thing they want is attention and they'll move on to an easier target. #2 is to make it as difficult as possible for somebody to steal it.

The key is to get a good installer. A GOOD installer will hide the stuff as much as possible, and put the components in places where you have to move a lot of stuff to get to the parts. For example, you have to go through hell and high water to get to my siren, and the longer it takes you to get to it, the longer I have to get outside with my 30 round clip in my Beretta to sling some lead in your butt. I'd love to see somebody get under the dash and try to pull the brain down. They'll never find it.

There's ways around a flatbed too. When I'm home there is no direct shot at my car. You'd have to move my work truck and my boat just to get a flatbed up the driveway. Besides that, you have to get past my parking brake (which means you have to open the door, see impossible to get to siren above). THEN you have to figure out a way to get the steering wheel unlocked because I always park with the wheels turned all the way to one side or the other which means it won't roll straight up a flatbed. A regular tow truck won't work either because even those little wheel dollies they have require them to get the wheels straight.

I didn't even mention the cop two doors down, the cop that lives behind me, my nosy neighbor nextdoor, and the fact that my neighborhood is full of shift workers that get home at all hours of the day and night. And the very attentive dogs.

Comment

circuit city uhhh !

I'll be there tomorrow.
                  And you're right guys, when "the professionals" wants your car...whit or whitout alarm...they are going to take it.
                  whit a flat bed ? not mine.
                  last time it brokes down ...2 guys whit diferent flat beds can't take it. The fact ? too low ride.
                  I had to take off the rear exhaust section to tow it.

thanks for your comments.

sorry for my bad english.

Comment

repo men

I did see that show on discovery... Scary stuff, I am very concerned with someone messing with my car... Not that its the most valuable or the hottest car around but it is my baby... I am going to get an alarm with everything they offer and see if i can get an electronic lock for the new ram air hood.... if you walk within ten feet of it i want to know!! Anyone ever have experience with those pager systems? Seems like a good idea if they have the range.... Thanks

Comment

Yea I want one of those pager alarm add ons too. I don't think they have that high of a range or the FCC would make you get a license for it. I wonder if I could put a RF amp on it. What would be really cool is if they could get it so that it was hooked into a nextel phone and could beep your phone. Then it would work nation wide. That would be something unless you were in Ca and the car was in Maine.

Comment

awesome....

If you could wire something like that up I would buy it.... haha Although the moment that you find out your car has been broken into and you are too far away to get there would be the ultimate in frustration.....

Comment

DEI makes a couple of pagers. They have a stand alone pager which can be integrated into any car. The pager has tone, vibrate, and both so it can be used in any situation. Typical range is about 2 miles, but it usually only works as good as those low buck 2 way radios you can get at Radio Shack. In my experience, I can go all over the mall and still get paged if somebody messes with the car (I had somebody deliberately set off the pager as I walked across the mall to test it out).

DEI's newest alarm comes with a paging remote, that will even show you on the screen what zone has been violated. That's pretty high dollar, but a sweet setup.

There is a company that makes a cell phone adaptable car alarm paging system, and it will call your number area code first so you will be paged anywhere your phone has signal. It can also be set up to call the police as well and it is trackable like lo-jack so they can find the car. I know it's made, but cannot remember who makes it or how much it costs.

By the way, DEI makes Viper, Python, Sidewinder, Clifford, Automate, Your Valet, and GM's keyless entry systems.

Comment

Working...
                          X