E brake won't disengage, please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E brake won't disengage, please help!

Rear brakes are burning, and it smells. Friend says it's cause I pull my ebrake up too far when I park, and I shouldn't. Well, came out of the store, put the ebrake down, and it didn't disengage. I can feel the brake is on, and when I pull up on the handle, there is a lot of pressure, as though it is enganged slightly. I pulled apart the center console, but there wasn't much I could do from there. 97 Z28, 6 spd.

Do I need to pull the rear rims? I was going to, but anybody in MI knows what kinda day today was. Raining and cold all day.

Thanks.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

theres a way to pound/pry the cable loose if you look on the underside of the car, you should be able to tell where the parts are supposed to move. I did this for a car in a walgreens parking lot one night and earned myself a case of beer!
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

You got this taken care of yet, buddy?

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Nope, haven't looked at it since I pulled apart the center console yesterday. I'm going to go take a look at it right now. Thanks for the tip hotwhip.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Let us know what you find

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Ok, looked behind the car, behind the driver wheel. Saw the cable, took a pair of pliars, and disengaged it there. Heard it click. Did that same to the pass. side wheel, now it's working. Thanks guys. E brake is broken now though. Great. 3 cars, every single one has a broken e brake. I wasn't meant to have one I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
              ....3 cars, every single one has a broken e brake. I wasn't meant to have one I guess.
              Maybe you should listen to your friends and not pull the e-brake up so far.

Comment

False alarm! Thank god, it was driving me nuts not having an ebrake. I backed it up on some ramps, and in the middle of the underbody, where the cable from the lever meets the other two cable, one cable popped out of it's hole. Put it back in, bam, works great.

Just thought'd I'd clear it up so I don't seem like that much of an idiot for breaking it hehe

Comment

Working...
                X