Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common f-body problems?

Howdy y'all,

I've got a deal lined up to buy a stock 95' Firebird (2 door, 10 speaker). Do any of yall know of any common problems with this car to check? I wanna make sure I'm not getting bent over on this deal. Thanks in advance,

Andy

As much as I love my car, I have to tell you to be careful. The problem things on an f-body (in no particular order):

#1 (Firebird only) Headlight motors
    #2 Power window motors
    #3 Rearends
    #4 Tranny mounts
    #5 Fuel pumps
    #6 Optispark
    #7 Water pump
    #8 (automatic) transmission (6 speed) clutch
    #9 Bose or Monsoon amplifiers
    #10 Back of intake manifold leaks oil

As an example, my 96 currently needs #1, #6, and #7, but I have all the parts to do it. The car runs, but it needs these three things to be back at 100%. It's at about 90% right now. It'll still click off low 12's on the bottle, but optisparks go out in an instant, and with 87k miles on it, that instant is rapidly approaching.

I've already done #2, #3, #4, #5, #8, and #10 (8 and 10 done at the same time *clutch replacement*). I don't have the #9 problem because the guy who I bought the car from ordered the car with the bone stock 4 speaker tape deck.

So, with all my complaining out of the way, just make sure you get the car on the rack and check it out. Look for any welding done for repairs. Look for any leaks, especially at the back of the oil pan, around the starter, rear main seal of the tranny, and pinion area of the rearend. Get a Carfax or Carcheck (I can get a Carcheck for you as long as you give me the VIN before Friday). If you're feeling froggy, and if they'll let you, pull up the carpet on the passengers side of the car and check the floorboard for any water leaks (typically from an overflow of the AC evaporator or a crappy install on the windshield). Snatch the t-tops off and check the seals on them to make sure they are not cracked or brittle (if it has t-tops). Pull the rear hatch panels off and check for any bodywork done on the back of the car. Drive the car, and make sure everything works.

And remember, if the seller won't let you have the car checked out by a professional before you buy it, then WALK AWAY. If it seems too cheap, then it probably is filled with Bars stopleak and Marvel Mystery oil just to get you 2 miles away so it can break.

Also, I'm sure some folks will say I've fallen off my rocker and that they've never had these problems on their car, but there are a whole lot of folks that will back me up on many of the points I've made. But hey, at least it's not a Mustang. I can list a whole lot more than 10 "common problems" on them, because #1-10 is "Manufactured by Ford - Stay Away"
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by and11200
      Howdy y'all,

I've got a deal lined up to buy a stock 95' Firebird (2 door, 10 speaker). Do any of yall know of any common problems with this car to check? I wanna make sure I'm not getting bent over on this deal. Thanks in advance,

Andy
      Hi, and welcome to the forums. It may help to post what other options it has (eg. auto/manual, what's power in it?). The two things I see most posts are opti problems (don't know much on how to tell, maybe someone else can chime in here), and rear end problems. If you have any abnormal noises coming from the rear, definately get it checked out. Power windows is actually very high, if not the highest on the list as well. If you have the money available, my best advice would be to take it to a mechanic that can look over things for you. Hope this is of some help.
      '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

2 months after i bought my 95 firebird from the dealer , the headlight motor went out,then i spotted oil from the back of the intake, then some probs with the power window switches, rearend noise, aahhh!!!
        i had to sell the car anyways

if your buying from a dealer be VERY Carefull!!! it could seem ok at the time ,but you know those guys do anything they can to sell, so they make it work .... for a while.
        Miss My Bird

Comment

Originally posted by and11200
          Howdy y'all,

Andy
          Is it a V8 or V6?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by MN6WS6
            The problem things on an f-body (in no particular order):

#1 (Firebird only) Headlight motors
            #2 Power window motors
            #3 Rearends
            #4 Tranny mounts
            #5 Fuel pumps
            #6 Optispark
            #7 Water pump
            #8 (automatic) transmission (6 speed) clutch
            #9 Bose or Monsoon amplifiers
            #10 Back of intake manifold leaks oil
            Your list couldn't be more right.
            Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Its an auto V6. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I thought it may be a V6 since you said stock Firebird.

So.... forget the Optispark and water pump issues.

Mainly, you'd be dealing with:

Window motors (they're cheap from Auto Zone and not too bad to install).

Headlight motors (the worm & sector gears strip.... they're are quick fixes for this as well as aftermarket gears that don't slip)

If the rear end is quiet now, you'll be fine with it.

Just have the car checked out as to it's current condition ..... then start having fun! We're all here to help if you have problems along the way.

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

#1 (Firebird only) Headlight motors - ALL (Mine are OK after 10 year)

#2 Power window motors - ALL (My passenger side goes up awfully slow now)

#3 Rearends - V8 only, not a problem with V6

#4 Tranny mounts - V8 only, not a problem with V6

#5 Fuel pumps - AAL - Only becomes a frequent problem if you let it run out of fuel a few times.

#6 Optispark - V8 only, V6 has direct fire distributorless ignition

#7 Water pump - V8 only, not a problem with V6

#8 (automatic) transmission (6 speed) clutch - V8 only, not a problem with V6

#9 Bose or Monsoon amplifiers - ALL - but I haven't seen this one very often. Mine was fine when I removed the stereo system at about 9 years.

#10 Back of intake manifold leaks oil - V8 only, not a problem with V6

A lot of the problems with the engine and drive train are a result of the very high power capabilities with the V8, the fact that most people increase the power levels even more, and some people expose them to SEVERE operating conditions - see example below :

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Just a few more problems to look for that didn't make the list:
                    1. Coolant level sensor. (V8)
                    2. Driver seat side bolster subject to extreme wear.
                    3. Driveshaft imbalance (V8)
                    4. Window and seat switches prone to failing (inexpensive)

and of course tires.

Comment

oh yea, coolant level sensor, good one joe.

now that i think about it, these cars are fun and beautifull but is it worth to buy a used one? do any other kind of cars have as much problems as f-bods
                      Miss My Bird

Comment

Originally posted by Spades95formula

now that i think about it, these cars are fun and beautifull but is it worth to buy a used one? do any other kind of cars have as much problems as f-bods

humm...i know these are problem...but where's the fun if you couldn't fix them? Personally, I like fixing (or modding) the problems I get...did my rearend work myself and it was fun. headlights...did that too...that wasn't as fun but satisfying when it was finished...cant wait to get my motors for my windows replaced (passengerside is slowing down). I don't know...I guess I like to work on her. Nothing feels better than a good job done right yourself...

If you don't like to do work on your car or don't have money to get work done...don't buy an f-body...get a Honda.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

There are pleanty of other cars that have more problems (Taurus SHO that I had was fun, but I went through 2 auto trannies and numerous problems with bottom and top end). Personally I think the F-Body holds up rather well. I'm at 114k miles, 14k of which I put on it, and the only thing that I've had to replace (that wasn't a result of me having too much fun ) is the oil pump, a window motor, and a broken water hose.
                          '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

I agree that working on your own car and knowing it's done right is a glorious feeling, but don't you think they could have done that when they built it? Considering that I have listed 10 things and somebody else added 3, and also considering that we're talking about $2,000 parts on two of them (tranny and rearend), that's a significant repair bill. In my mind, GM should have spent the extra $1,000 or $2,000 to begin with and gave us all:

#1 Metal gears in headlight motors
                            #2 4L80E for you auto guys
                            #3 Better quality power window motors, or at least made them accessible so you don't have to drill 1 inch holes in the door to get to the rivets.
                            #4 A FRIGGIN 12 BOLT REAREND!
                            #5 Poly tranny mounts
                            #6 NO BOSE OR MONSOON!
                            #7 The proper intake manifold gasket, or at least one that doesn't fail the first time the motor gets hot.
                            #8 Fuel pump access door from the factory

Most of this was cost control and simple design changes that could have been implemented very easily and at little direct cost to the consumer. Now, granted the 4L80E and 12 bolt would have cost more money, but GM should have known better than to put a rearend designed for 150 HP and 3,000 pounds weight in a car that weighs 3300 stripped and makes 285-300 HP.
                            "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Oh yes there are. In reality, these are easily serviced. There are only a few things that are a genuine PITA. Plug wires for one.

Most any car out there given enough time will turn into a used car money pit. I feel these are actually a little easier to service than most people think.

Comment

Working...
                              X