Help with 93 ignition bypass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 93 ignition bypass

I just bought a 93 Z28 from a salvage auction. It was a theft recovery and came with no ignition key. How can I go about starting this car? If I replace the ignition with a new one I think I'm going to have problems with the vats, I don't have a key to check the resistance so what could I do. Alocal junkyard said the had a steering column out of a 98 camaro with the key and ignition For 40 bucks.Will this work? If I install the new column how can I get it to match the resistance of the vats control box? I want to start it and see how it runs thanks for any help

You can do what some other people have done in the past-get a collection of resistors, so you can make up all 15 of the possible resistances of the key pellet and try them one at a time.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

get a start switch and hook it to start solenoid and starter to complete the circuit. make sure battery is charged, i mean that is if you just want to start it and see how it runs...

Comment

Skip the buying multiple resistors buy a POT or potentiometer (adjustible Resistor). Use a multi-meter to test the resistance till its at one of the 15 and test, if it dont work go to the next value, if it dont work.... well you get the idea. it wont work forever, just to start it a few times, as they can easily change resistance. When I got my car painted the body shop lost the keys and had to replace my ignition cylinder on my 89 VATs equiped formula. I got them by with a POT until the GM guy came with a "special resistance tester" for the car, Which happened to be the same fluke meter I own.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by paxton350
          get a start switch and hook it to start solenoid and starter to complete the circuit. make sure battery is charged, i mean that is if you just want to start it and see how it runs...
          This wont work. The PCM will not provide fuel or spark without the key pelet.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            This wont work. The PCM will not provide fuel or spark without the key pelet.
            or a substitute under the dash in the form of a resistor or a POT. But you may still need to get a key, just to turn the column cylinder to get it to start, or if its busted just start it. You can also just get a locksmith to make a key for the current cylinder, but its probably easier to buy the junkyard one and have the resistor changed at gm or the locksmith once you find out which one it is.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

i'm surprised that no one has stated the obvious....go to a GM dealer and give them the VIN, they will be able to get you a replacement key

all you have to do is show them proof of ownership and give them the VIN#

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
              CAGS Eliminator

Comment

93 ignition

Thanks I went the obvious route and went to the dealer and gave them my vin but it isn't registered in my name because It takes a couple of weeks for the auction to send the paper work, But I did have a recipt that had the vin number and my name on it and with some convincing it worked and they cut me a key. Thanks for all the replys. I'll try to start it tommorrow due to dead battery.

Comment

Working...
                X