Just went through NJ inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just went through NJ inspection

with my 91 SS454 pickup. The truck has 99K miles on it but the engine was replaced in 1999 with a crate motor and has 25K miles. I did some ignition upgrades to try and improve the spark for the best gas mileage possible too. Here are the numbers:
    ...........Allowed....My reading
    NOx.......1146...........346
    HC..........168.............29
    CO%......1.42..........(.13)
    CO2%......---...........14.7
    O2%........---............(.4)
    69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored
    70 SS 396 L78 documented, #'s matching
    2000 SS Camaro daily beater

great numbers...do they do an idle and 25mph test in NJ??
    95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Yes, they drive it on the rollers now while measuring emissions so you get a 2 year inspection. It's nice to see that some simple ignition upgrades with the stock TBI computer setup can really work this well. The stock computer and TBI are limited to about 375-400hp on the 454 before you need to do serious EFI mods to go further. But with around 450 lbs/ft of torque, who needs horsepower!
      69 Z28 with JL8 factory 4 wheel disc brakes, crossram, transistor ignition, radio delete, heater delete - being restored

Comment

Originally posted by JL8Jeff
        Yes, they drive it on the rollers now while measuring emissions so you get a 2 year inspection. It's nice to see that some simple ignition upgrades with the stock TBI computer setup can really work this well. The stock computer and TBI are limited to about 375-400hp on the 454 before you need to do serious EFI mods to go further. But with around 450 lbs/ft of torque, who needs horsepower!
        Must be that special gasoline they use in NJ, thus civilians are not allowed to pump it themselves...
        95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by 4THGEN Z
          Must be that special gasoline they use in NJ, thus civilians are not allowed to pump it themselves...
          What's interesting is that NJ doesn't allow you to pump it yourself so that provides a lot of extra jobs, but our prices are also lower than most states that you have to pump yourself. In the middle of winter or on a rainy day, it's great to stay in your car while getting gas. My engine is actually very low compression at 7.8 to 1 so I run 87 octane. I bet if I had premium in it and a little more timing my numbers would be even lower. But at 11 mpg, I'm not buying 93 octane!

Comment

Working...
          X