Slight problem after cam, headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight problem after cam, headers

I did some motor work a couple weeks ago. Xe 224/230 cam, SLP shorty headers, Random Tech converter, and an opti. conversion. When I first start it up it runs smooth. After about five minutes it has a kind of stumble. I'm assuming it's engine temp. that does it. It will do it in any gear. It kind of surges while keeping a constant speed at any RPM. Again, when it's cold it runs perfectly smooth. I have no engine lights and it feels real strong, but it just isn't perfect. Any ideas? Sensors?

Thanks,

Andy
    '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
    339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
    '00 S-10 ZR2

Who did the programming for the cam? Cam surge at idle and low loads can be a programming problem.

If it goes downhill as it warms up, it can often be a problem with the O2 sensor feedback loop. Doesn't mean the O2 sensors are bad, only that something is causing them to give the computer bad numbers. Problems can include:

-faulty O2 sensor install, poor grounding, bad crimps in harness extenstions.

-misfires due to wire burned by or arcing on the headers

-exhaust leaks before the O2 sensors

-high voltage (plug) wires running too close to O2 sensor wires.

-contamination of O2 sensors.

The best thing you can do is get a scanner on it, and examine the long term fuel corrections (BLM's) for a wide range of Cells (operating conditions).
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Hopefully, the MAF hasn't been altered or that might contribute to the problem. Ditto for any leaks in the intake or vacuum lines after the MAF.

Comment

check all the connections to your injectors....that happend to my wifes hawk and it that turned out what it was..two were loose..only got back when it warmed up

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check all that stuff on Sunday and let you know what it was. Oh yeah, PCMForless did the programming.

Andy
          '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
          339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
          '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

Working...
          X