Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thought i would share this with yall....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought i would share this with yall....

normally i dont put my govt. stuff up here..but this is good news for all Americans on the highway......

Gsa Fleet Operations
    “Tire Tip’s and Facts”

(A new informal publication to “keep you rolling”)

NHTSA has finally updated the Federal Tire Testing Performance Standards……………..

The old one is dated back in the late 60’s !!!

For years, when I was manager of the Federal Tire Qualification Program in GSA, I hammered DOT about these standards being outdated, that they were written around bias ply tire technology….that any radial tire made could pass the standards…which meant we have “unsafe” tires on our highways……….. well…..duh!

Maybe with the recent major tire failure trends they were able to get the necessary political support to do it………. Because with the battle against it put up by the tire industry……..it almost took an act of God to get this thing passed and “in service”.

Now the kicker: they don’t take effect until June 1, 2007.

The new Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 139 replaces the existing 35-year-old Standard 109 for all radial tires for passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, and trailers weighing less than 10,000 lbs.

Exempt from the new standard are bias ply tires, small trailer tires, retread tires (dern it.. the retread industry fought heavily to exempt themselves and won…based on the fact that the cost of testing was “unreasonable” for retreaders and that the new tire casing had already passed. Personally, I don’t think they could pass the testing! ), and non-pneumatic spare tires.

The nice thing about this new standard is, it’s the first time that light truck tires (LT), load range C, D, and E, have to meet stringent performance requirements. In the past…they did not.. (Wonder what prompted this? Ha!)

A centerpiece of the new standard is the high speed and endurance testing…which is stricter than in the old 109 but still not as stringent as DOT first proposed. The high-speed test rules specify testing speeds of 140, 150 and 160 kilometers per hour, while the endurance test requires speeds and distances 50% longer than the old standard.

The new standard also requires a low inflation pressure test that seeks to ensure a minimum safety standard for tires when they operate at 20 psi, which is the minimum inflation at which tire pressure monitoring systems will be required to warn motorists of “unsafe inflation” (another “HA”!) NHTSA was quoted saying this about that: “This requirement mirrors conditions of long distance family travel and will assist in ensuring that tires will withstand conditions of severe under inflation during highway travel under fully loaded conditions”…… in other words….we can’t get the general population to check their tire pressures on a regular basis……….

Some of the specific items, which I dearly hoped would be strengthened, did not get addressed yet: road hazard impact testing, aging testing, and bead unseating resistance testing. NHTSA said it needed to conduct more research before they could put forth meaningful testing requirements more relevant than already exists in Standard 109…….

NHTSA estimates the new standard will cost the tire industry between $3.6 million and $31.6 million annually, with an annual prevention of one to four deaths and 23 to 102 injuries……. They also estimate that 5 to 11% of the tires currently running will have to be redesigned to achieve compliance. The first estimate that NHTSA released was that 1/3 of the tires on U.S. highways would fail the new standard. That……was an attention getter……..for sure! The industry itself took it a step further and said that 40%! Of the passenger car tires would fail! And over 50% of the LT tires would fail!

The “big” concern right now? To quote industry: “We fear that many specialty and snow tires will not be able to pass these tests and will therefore remove these tires from the marketplace”……….. Well……dooh! If they are NOT safe…. That’s a no-brainer to me!!

Ken Collings
    GSA Fleet Operations
    Your “tire guy” ;o)

In the next Tire Tips & Facts……… “The Inflation Pressure Issue”

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Maybe I'm wronng here, but after reading that I'm thinking that there are a lot of people that have no idea about the risks of underinflation. Maybe this is something that should be taught when you get your license.

Andy
    '94 Formula M6, XE224/230 w/1.6 RR's, hardened pushrods, Comp R lifters, SLP ceramic coated shorties, Random Tech cat., Flowmaster cat-back, CSI water pump, vented opti, PCM tuning by Spraytheway, BMR k-member, SFC's, DSL, LCA's & brackets, adj. PHR
    339 RWHP, 341 RWTQ
    '00 S-10 ZR2

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLT1
      Maybe I'm wronng here, but after reading that I'm thinking that there are a lot of people that have no idea about the risks of underinflation. Maybe this is something that should be taught when you get your license.

Andy
      we tried that..but because its up to each state..its not within DOT's rights..... good ol American politics my friend.......

k

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

My fear is that it won't cost the tire industry a dime..... it will get passed on to the consumer by a major hike in tire prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          My fear is that it won't cost the tire industry a dime..... it will get passed on to the consumer by a major hike in tire prices.
          u know thats a given. tire prices will go up.

Comment

I have an appreciation for tire issues in general... but without some way to regulate or improve retreads....I dunno, I guess that just something I ALWAYS see on the road. Pieces of truck rubber all over the highway. This aint meant to be a shot Ken... I know you have a special place in your heart for retreads too. It just bugs me that they get away with being rolling accidents to happen.

Comment

Working...
            X