Dumb question, rain related.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question, rain related.

Ok so heres the dumb question of the week.

Living in NC it rains everyday, literally. But I notice after it has stopped raining for say a half hour, hour or so my car is still wet. Not dripping wet, all the rain drops are bubbled quite nicely. The car next to mine is dry as most of the other cars in the lot are too. Is this because I actually wax mine and the water isn't being absorbed into the paint or something? Hopefully its a good thing and not a bad thing. Thanks guys!
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
    Traded in: 1998 Z28
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

ok, think of it this way:

if you take 1 ounce of water and spread it out evenly over a flat surface, then take another ounce of water and leave it in a bowl, which one is gonna evaporate quicker?

non-waxed cars "sheet" the water over its entire surface, causing a thin layer. waxed cars "bead" the water into a more compact area.

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
    CAGS Eliminator

Comment

How come when I bump my car up to about 90, it dries in like 15 seconds.....

96 TA Sold!
      87 TA Sold!
      80 Z28 Sold!
      74 Formula Sold!
      73 Z28 Sold!
      69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

I heard a cop on one of those cop shows saying that the worst excuse he had ever heard for speeding was "I'm drying my car". I looked at my wife and said I've done that before. The cop was clueless.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

the beads on a zaino'ed car are smaller and tighter..and all you have to do is start moving and the water sheets right off. some folks use a leaf blower to dry thier cars.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirroredshades
            How come when I bump my car up to about 90, it dries in like 15 seconds.....

LOL..........and I thought I was the only one that did that!

Comment

Mental note:

Add leafblower to christmas list...
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Just a thought...what color is your car? Since mine is black, any water will literally "smoke" away in a matter of minutes (in the sun, even in 50 degree weather)...which makes it a PITA to dry when I wash it. A lighter colored car will keep cooler...and water will stay on longer.
                94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Yea when I wash my car I have to keep spraying the entire car over and over again just to keep it wet and so no water marks show. Do water marks show with a zaioned car.
                  1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

thanks for the info. Thats what I thought it might be, but I wasn't sure. The camaro is red. Water marks don't show too much it seems and if its clean, i'll mist it with that zaino mister bottle that comes with it. I do the same thing though when washing, keep the whole car wet. It's difficult to wash down here because of the heat and humidity all day long, so I have to wait till night, then it's hard to wax because I can't see what I'm doing! So usually its a real early sunday morning I do the washing,or wash sat night, wax sunday morning.
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                    Traded in: 1998 Z28
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                      Mental note:

Add leafblower to christmas list...
                      I just did the same thing. When I read that post I thought it was genius. And that's even coming from Wolfman
                      97 SS #C007
                      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Working...
                      X