posi in 4th gen, not posi all the time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posi in 4th gen, not posi all the time

in my 94 Z it has the g80 option code (posi), well every time i turn right and light em up, i only get a one tire (the passenger side) fire. turning left i always get posi, and in a straight take off i get posi. whats the deal? and can these cone type posi's be rebuilt?
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Never heard of that one before. If it does it turning right it should do it all the time. The only thing that could go bad and cause a "one tire corner fire" is that the clutches go out, but if that has happened then it wouldn't ever be lighting both tires.

By the way, it's a "limited slip".
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Yea i have the same problem in my 97 Firebird Formula, I noticed that only the right tire will burn. A one wheel wonder if you will. I believe that the posi might have been removed for some reason. I put it up on a lift and in the rear, theres blue silicone around the bolts. So i belive the previous owner had removed the posi for whatever reasons. Im not sure. Any ideas.
      -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

I would suggest changing the rear end lube, using the appropriate posi additive and do the old trick of backing up while turning in a parking lot. Several left and right hand turns while backing up has been known to get things working properly. If the clutches are getting weak, it makes sense that the right rear would be the one to light on a right hand turn. It would also not want to burn on a left hand turn and may seem to work well in a straight line. Each vector puts a different load on the clutches.

Comment

Well, you learn something everyday. Didn't know about the reverse trick.

The thing that threw me was when he said "it works on a left turn", which suggests to me that when he turns left and stomps on it, the rearend steps out like the diff is locking up. But on rights it only burns the tire. I had that problem long ago, but changed the diff lube and added the GM stuff and it worked perfectly ever since then.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Each vector puts a different load on the clutches.
            Exactly. The clutches are probably going.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Working...
            X