NFB: Can you believe this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: Can you believe this?

I work Nuclear Security at Three Mile Island Nuclear power plant. Without going into specifics I just wanted to share something that happened to me this week (and is still ongoing). Keep in mind this is a long story and I can't include it all here, for length and security reasons, but it goes liek this:

A supervisor told me to do something that I felt could possibly cause us to violate an NRC rule. I refused and was threatened with insubordination. I gave in at that point but told the supervisor I would report my concerns to the NRC. I also told the supervisor that I considered this action discipline and requested my union representative. He refused!

A few days later I received my discipline for this incident. Under "Reasons for Reprimand" are the following things: "highly negative attitude" and "threatening this supervisor with a call to the NRC and his local union representative."

My right to contact the NRC with safety or security concerns is protected under federal law, as is my right to request uinion representation when I feel I am being disciplined! And they put this right in black and white on my discipline form!! This company (Wackenhut) has been fined in the past by the NRC for firing an employee who refused to work a 7th straight day of 12 hours shifts. The employee claimed it would cause him to become unfit for duty and refused to work it. Wackenhut fired him. It is against NRC rules to fire smeone for claiming to be unfit for duty.

While I feel my plant is better than most as far as security's ability and working conditions go, it's still not great. For a few ideas of the company I'm fighting here, check out the following links. They of course, don't get the whole stroy right, but you'll get the gist of the nuclear security industry after 9/11. I just wonder how the NRC and NLRB will feel when I fax them a copy of my discipline form?

Project on Government Oversight's Nuclear Security report

Eye on Wackenhut's Nuclear Security page

I feel I should say I have every confidence in the security at TMI, so no one should feel unsafe. However, I just needed to vent some frustrations against this company. There are a lot of other things we have pending against them too, including back pay issues for making us work off the clock. We have even contacted our congessmen because the state's investigation that we initiated is being stalled by Wackenhut!! ARG!

sorry, off my soapbox now!
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

I feel your rage. I think everyone goes thru pains with supervisors. I've been with my current employer for 6 years and have had 4 supervisors and until my current supervisor have never had any problems. especially with retaliation issue. It looks like my supervisor is coming around tho. at least I hope
    good luck brother,
    ed
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Man.... I sure don't miss the big-corporate work place.

Good luck, Dave!

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by M3EATER - GG '00 WS6 T/A
        Man.... I sure don't miss the big-corporate work place.
        I'll second that!!!......but it would be nice not to have to use a high powered microscope to read the numbers on my paycheck
        DWS
        Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

yeah, definitely contact NRC and NLRB and have them kick some Wacken-BUTT!!!

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
          CAGS Eliminator

Comment

considering todays climate in security concerns, they should have taken your stand in a possitive nature. i think thier reaction was totally non professional.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
              considering todays climate in security concerns, they should have taken your stand in a possitive nature. i think thier reaction was totally non professional.

I agree. Not only that, but this kind of attitude is partly responsible for our security issues in certain areas. i applaud you for doing the right thing and bringing this to someones attention.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
              95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
              Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

Working...
              X