NFB: charging problem....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB: charging problem....

My daily driver is having some charging problems. I replaced the altenator earlier this year. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. It has started lighting up dash warning lights at start up indicating a weak altenator output. If I rev the motor some, they will go out. Occasinally when the revs come back down, the lights come back on, but not always.

While driving the lights (warning lights) will flicker sometimes. This is accompanied by a slight flashing of the headlights, interior lights, etc. There seems to be no common time/condition that causes this while driivng. it happens at different revs/speeds, it doesn't happen at all most of the time but will occassionally start for no reason, do it for about 10 min, then stop just as mysteriously. It's not a battery problem, start up is fine. I'm hesitant to have the altenator tested because it doesn't do it all the time and I'm not sure they could replicate the problem.

My question is: is it more likely that the new altenator is bad or that I have some type of short in the system some where that's casuing problems? Any tips where to start looking?

The car is a 1991 Toyota Camry with a 2.0L 4cyl and 225,000 miles. It runs great except for this problem, although it could likely use new cap, rotor, coil, etc.... doubt that has any effect on alt output?
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

I'd say definitely the alternator. It sounds like the brushes are not making good contact with the commentator. My Mustang used to do the same thing. Mine was caused by a big subwoofer amp that I did not have a capacitor on. It would pull current in time with the rhythm. This would make the alternator try to keep up. The brushes would arc on the commentator and leave little burnt marks. After a few months, the lights would go up and down with the engine. I'd take the alternator apart and sand the commentator, put it back together and it would be fine for a few months when I'd have to do it again. Finally I put a big cap on it and it stopped it. Anyway I don't see how it could be anything other than the alternator.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Sounds like a voltage regulator to me. Which is inside of the alt.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Could be the regulator, rectifier, a burnt commutator, etc.. Could be alot of things internal with the alternator. Have it tested. They can test them in the car at most parts stores now.

On a side note, I've also experienced those same symtoms with corrroded battery connections. I cleaned the battery posts and the cables and walla, no more lights flickering.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. If I can find the receipt for the alt it might still be under warranty, but I probably threw it out after the install went well.
          Dave M
          Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
          X