Sigh..... The Chicken's DeaD again ...>>>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh..... The Chicken's DeaD again ...>>>

Clutch has been acting like it needed bleeding ... made sense since the line from the master to the slave was sitting on the rear header primary tube.

I figured that the fluid got boiled. Everytime I'd run the RPM up high .... the clutch would not want to fully disengage and the pedal would not ruturn fully. Wait or drive for a while and it would be back .... albeit at a reduced amount.

So..... been driving it this way since I got it back on the road a week or so ago, trying to find the time to bleed it.

Well, last night leaving work, it was engaging very quick ... with the pedal barely off the floor (which it had been doing after an RPM shot), but was a little different. Then went to stop and pull it out of gear........ stalled it as the clutch was not disengaging at all and the pedal just stayed on the floor. No amount of pulling it up and re-pushing would help.

So, drove home without a clutch. Got it up and bleed the piss out of it. STILL no pedal.

I guess I'll try the old master that came with the trans when I did the swap from A4 to M6 (I installed a new 2002 unit for the swap) and see if that changes it. Otherwise......... it's trans removal time .... to check the slave (which was also new 2002 part) and the pressure plate.......

sheesh........

Wife loves it.

Sat from December '03 until last week (due to rear end ... money, time, etc...). Drive it for two weeks ...... broke again..... with major labor time likely to be due.......... (was off the road for 7 months the year before that... when the A4 blew up).......

I put less repair time into my various mid '80s BMWs with 200,000 and 300,000 miles..........just drive those....and drive and drive.....

Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

If anyone feels your pain here, its me. Every drive train component has been removed on my car in the last 4 months. I get it on the road and a week later, its down again.....very frustrating. I want to go to the track today, but my clutch just started slipping yesterday. Its only happened once, so I am hoping to get a run or two out of the car before I tear the trans out. Ive gotten so good at removing that tranny, I can do it in about a half hour. About an hour on the way back in.....
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by M3EATER - GG '00 WS6 T/A
      I put less repair time into my various mid '80s BMWs with 200,000 and 300,000 miles..........just drive those....and drive and drive.....

Gordon
      Yeah but less HP!
      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
        Yeah but less HP!
        They're suprisingly fun to drive...... and not slugs either....

They just need about 200 more HP (for a starting point).

I'll likely, before too long, build one with a small block chevy.

Then ........... it'll be fun.......

Comment

They're suprisingly fun to drive...... and not slugs either....

They just need about 200 more HP (for a starting point).

I'll likely, before too long, build one with a small block chevy.

Then ........... it'll be fun.......
          If you add 200 hp to a BMW, it will break as often as your F-body does but it will cost even more to fix. The increased abuse causes premature part failure. There is no way around it. It costs $$ to go fast.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            If you add 200 hp to a BMW, it will break as often as your F-body does but it will cost even more to fix. .

BUT....... I sell BMW parts for a living...so, they don't cost any more than keeping an old Chevy beater going.

However, The true Hi-Po parts are still expensive ... even for me.

Due to the cost, I have yet to fully build a BMW engine for real HP .... I could build two 500 hp small blocks for the cost of getting 250 hp out of the 2.5/2.7 engines in the mid-80s 325is models.

That said, an 88 thru 91 M3 (2.3 liter 4-cyl, 200hp), driven well, will stay right with me in The Chicken, lap after lap .... on our home track (which is fairly tight ... no real long straights).

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              If you add 200 hp to a BMW, it will break as often as your F-body does but it will cost even more to fix. The increased abuse causes premature part failure. There is no way around it. It costs $$ to go fast.

Yep. Speed Kills........Your wallet.

I bought a beater car for $700. I've driven it 14 out of 15 days for 6 months.

During that time I have put 600 miles on the TA and about $1400 keeping it running.

96 TA Sold!
              87 TA Sold!
              80 Z28 Sold!
              74 Formula Sold!
              73 Z28 Sold!
              69 Camaro Not Sold!

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                If anyone feels your pain here, its me. Every drive train component has been removed on my car in the last 4 months. I get it on the road and a week later, its down again.....very frustrating. I want to go to the track today, but my clutch just started slipping yesterday. Its only happened once, so I am hoping to get a run or two out of the car before I tear the trans out. Ive gotten so good at removing that tranny, I can do it in about a half hour. About an hour on the way back in.....
                N20,

I read your sig and I noticed you're using a Spec stage 3 clutch. You're pushing a lot of horse, especially with your N20. A Spec stage 3 clutch holds up to 480 hp, and since you said yours is slipping, do you think a stage 4 would do the job? Stage 4 can handle 600+ hp.
                Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I allways overbuild the stuff I hate working on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                    I allways overbuild the stuff I hate working on.
                    Brother, we think alike.

Comment

Gordon
                      thats why even when i get my new car i will keep my reliable sidekick that everyone lovingly calls the hooptie =) lol

sry to hear about ur car bud...if i was closer id lend u 2 hands =)

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                        N20,

I read your sig and I noticed you're using a Spec stage 3 clutch. You're pushing a lot of horse, especially with your N20. A Spec stage 3 clutch holds up to 480 hp, and since you said yours is slipping, do you think a stage 4 would do the job? Stage 4 can handle 600+ hp.

On that note................

I installed the star stage 3 metallic set-up whien I did the A4 to M6 swap (back in summer 03).... it has slipped from day one. I first noticed it on 1-2 power shifts. I called them and got the ...."didn't happen here" story, from Dave. Must have been something that I did ,,, etc etc..... Needless to say, customer service like that does NOT generate return business..........

Comment

ahh fram oil filters are the devil!!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mike71
                            ahh fram oil filters are the devil!!! lol

Yes... indeed they are!

I use only Pure One filters now, after some filter test research.
                            Other good ones were :

AC Delco
                            Mobile One

Comment

Yes... indeed they are!

I use only Pure One filters now, after some filter test research.
                              Other good ones were :

AC Delco
                              Modile One
                              i have had good luck in my dads car with the delco units...i stopped using fram in any car after i finally cut an old one open and saw for myself

Comment

Working...
                              X