Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did this become the political discussion board?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did this become the political discussion board?

Just wondered? I have nothing against occasional off topic threads, I've even posted one or five myself, but can't we focus on what brought us all here in the first place? The best cars on the planet! As I said in another post, these threads are threatening to drive a wedge between members, and I can't believe these haven't been locked yet. Usually the moderators are pretty lock-happy around here.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Originally posted by Dave M
    Just wondered? I have nothing against occasional off topic threads, I've even posted one or five myself, but can't we focus on what brought us all here in the first place? The best cars on the planet! As I said in another post, these threads are threatening to drive a wedge between members, and I can't believe these haven't been locked yet. Usually the moderators are pretty lock-happy around here.
    Our off topic political discussions are pretty civil. I'm glad they dont get locked because they are stimulating and make us think. I dont see a wedge being driven into any friendships. We still all respect eachothers opinions, right? It doesnt bother me in the least.

You are of course correct about f-bodys being to coolest cars on the planet!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Well, Dave... For the most part everyone has been respectable and has been sharing their views. No real reason to "moderate" it.

I guess it's what people want to talk about .... for now.

Post up some F-Body stuff!!!

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

I doubt they are making anyone think. Everyone is just throwing their views in, and it will never cause opinions to be reconsidered. As I said in my first post on the thread, people are being civil because 85% of the board members are God-loving republicans, and you agree with Bush. The other 15% are probably afraid to open their mouths.

I would hate to think the moderators are letting this particular thread (the john kerry thread) go on because it was a John Kerry based thread. If it was a thread dredging up the skeletons in Bush's closet, would it still be allowed to continue? I'd like to think so, but somehow I doubt it.
        Dave M

Comment

I can offer something on this topic. The reason the thread has been left in place is that it appeared that the members were behaving themselves and not turning into a flame war. If this is not the case, then offending posts can be reported and dealt with by the moderators. While this is an f-body board, off topic stuff can be posted as long as they don't violate the rules of the board. It is suggested that NFB (abbreviation of non f-body) be posted in the header so that those not wishing to read it may skip over it and not give it any consideration.

As fas as the moderators being lock happy , I don't see that. I see the moderator team keeping this a great place to hang out, free from flame wars and profanity, something that the rest of you must enjoy or you wouldn't hang here. We wouldn't let a Kerry thread stay just because it was a Kerry thread and not Bush, I am suprised that there isn't more confidence in the moderating team.

Perhaps the multiple Kerry threads should be merged into one long one, but unless people get out of hand I see no reason to lock it.

Comment

If it was a thread dredging up the skeletons in Bush's closet, would it still be allowed to continue? I'd like to think so, but somehow I doubt it.

Things that make ya go .........
            Hmmmmmmmm..................

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              It is suggested that NFB (abbreviation of non f-body) be posted in the header so that those not wishing to read it may skip over it and not give it any consideration.

Thats it right there. If you dont want to participate in the political discussion of the day with other f-body members, then simply dont open the thread. Seems fair to me.
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

....I would hate to think the moderators are letting this particular thread (the john kerry thread) go on because it was a John Kerry based thread. If it was a thread dredging up the skeletons in Bush's closet, would it still be allowed to continue? I'd like to think so, but somehow I doubt it.
                Now you're the one "driving wedges"..... why are you suggesting that the moderators are somehow using their personal prejudices in the way they control the board... I personally take this as an insult.

I totally avoid the political threads.... really don't care to express my view on "non F-Body" issues, and really don't care what anyone else thinks about political issues. That's not why I'm here. I would like to see less of these posts, since I think it does detract from the purpose of the board. And, I would like people to use "NFB" to help those of us who are not interested in non F-Body topics to avoid them (e.g. - on this thread).

But don't start suggesting that people "moderate" the board based on their personal prejudices. That's really uncalled for.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

As a non-american person I have been reading the political thread and have found that in joining this forum I feel I have joined into a comunity of people who are well above the average of people in the world as far as mauturity and open mindedness goes. I used to think that all americans were pretty much wraped up in their own little world but I find amoung you you are all pretty up on what is going on in the world. I do not mean to offend anyone but most other forums I have been to, people dont really know whats going on and they are very imature and closed minded. I think this is one of the best forums on the net.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade
                  Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                  In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Fred, I meant no insult and was only expressing my viewpoint as so many others have done here recently. Most of the moderators of this forum openly supported the ideas put forth in the John Kerry thread, and in the past have been quick to close potentially dangerous threads. To me it's an inconsistancy to leave this particular thread going, and I have to question the motives behind it. It wasn't meant as an attack on any one moderator, more of an urge to close the thread because I don't think anything is being accomplished by it and lots could be hurt.
                    Dave M

Comment

Yea this is a nice place to hang out....I've actually enjoyed hearing different perspectives. I learned some things. I like that. As long as were open minded. I think its productive. The other option we have is we could always ask the mod's to set up a separate forum like some boards have where they have "The Lounge" where we can talk non-tech talk. Theres a pretty diverse group of people here and I like hearing from different groups of people.

What i'm really saying is I'm young and dumb and I love learning from the old farts sorry guys i'm only playing...your as young as you feel!
                      -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
                      98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
                      98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
                      94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

I would welcome the idea of a completely off topic board, it would put to rest the issue of non f-body material and be a blessing for those who don't want to wade through it on this forum. I encourage JR to set that up! My humor threads could fill it up!
                        Dave M

Comment

Lol, if I wanted to talk politics (which I try to avoid-didn't even read the Kerry thread), I would go argue with my Mother.
                          Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave M]...can't we focus on what brought us all here in the first place? The best cars on the planet! QUOTE]

No kidding, I haven't seen any Cobra posts in a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
                              Lol, if I wanted to talk politics (which I try to avoid-didn't even read the Kerry thread), I would go argue with my Mother.
                              Now that was funny!

Comment

Working...
                              X