A bit soft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit soft

Hello chaps, I have a bone stock '93 TransAm A4 and I'm not sure its well.
    I have sorted out my SES light with a new Purge solenoid and a new air pump.
    Tonight it seems that the car's acceleration is a little soft, even 'kick down' seems to only drop 1 gear ( cruising at 40mph - then foot to floor ) and pull away very lethargically.
    Maybe I'm just used to it now but it seems that I couldn't out accelerate a family saloon.
    I've checked the car over and everything seems fine, maybe I need a service?
    2001 Firehawk 10th Anniversary, m6
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2139497

Originally posted by paul
    Hello chaps, I have a bone stock '93 TransAm A4 and I'm not sure its well.
    I have sorted out my SES light with a new Purge solenoid and a new air pump.
    Tonight it seems that the car's acceleration is a little soft, even 'kick down' seems to only drop 1 gear ( cruising at 40mph - then foot to floor ) and pull away very lethargically.
    Maybe I'm just used to it now but it seems that I couldn't out accelerate a family saloon.
    I've checked the car over and everything seems fine, maybe I need a service?
    whens the last time you did a tune up?

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

There are many things that go hand in hand. Everything from spark plug and wires to throttle position sensor to oxygen sensors. I would get a scanner on it and view all the engine sensors to see if anything shows up. Tough to diagnose without having hands on.

Comment

I would do a good tune up if it hasnt been done in a while - it never hurts and could possibly take care of your problem. After that, youre going to want to hook a fuel pressure gauge and get it on a scanner and check the O2 readings, fuel trim and such.

I recently had the same problem with my car and it turned out to be a faulty MAF sensor. Yours doesnt have a MAF sensor, but it could be a similiar problem.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          There are many things that go hand in hand. Everything from spark plug and wires to throttle position sensor to oxygen sensors. I would get a scanner on it and view all the engine sensors to see if anything shows up. Tough to diagnose without having hands on.
          Looks like we all answered at the same time!
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Sorry guys I am here, just been to the doctor's with the wife.( she's ok ).
            I've had the car for about a month and have as yet done nothing except for the SES faults which I mentioned earlier.
            If the fault lies within the MAP sensor or other sensor will it not light up the SES?
            Anyway I think your right about getting it tuned especially as the engine has a slightly lumpy tick over, and I know for a fact that it ran in the Gumball 3000 this year so I can assume it has been run hard.

Comment

Originally posted by paul
              and I know for a fact that it ran in the Gumball 3000 this year so I can assume it has been run hard.

eh??? It ran in the Gumball??? I saw the Gamball 2000 and it was crazy...I'm surprised it came back in one piece going against Ferraris and Porsches...

I'm assuming you didn't drive her cuz you assumed it was ran hard...who did you buy it from???

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
              Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
              B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
              Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
              Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Only some problems will set codes. The optispark distributer cap and rotor portion is one that won't set a code. Does it have a cat?

Comment

yes it does have a cat, and no i didn't drive it in the gumball myself.
                  I'll do a service and see what happens, in the mean time heres a picture of the car in the gumball rally.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X