V6 to 350 Swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 to 350 Swap

Ok, so my engine is about to die... bad clanking, sounds like the main bearing.

So i want to put a new engine in, a V8, a 305 or 350.

I'm looking for some good reference sites, to help me out with more basic information, like what will fit, what will need to be replaced. Will i need a new tranny, stuff like that. Also will i need to have access to welding equipment to move the engine mounts?

At this point any help will be appreciated

Originally posted by Jaguar_5
    Ok, so my engine is about to die... bad clanking, sounds like the main bearing.

So i want to put a new engine in, a V8, a 305 or 350.

I'm looking for some good reference sites, to help me out with more basic information, like what will fit, what will need to be replaced. Will i need a new tranny, stuff like that. Also will i need to have access to welding equipment to move the engine mounts?

At this point any help will be appreciated
    You can start by telling us the year, make and model of the car you wish to do this with.

I can tell you though, that the general consensus is going to be to sell it and get a V8 car. The 6-8 conversion in these cars is very involved. The two different models do not share any pieces in the driveline. Every moving part except the rear end housing will need to be replaced including the radiator, K-member, crossmember, motor mounts, driveshaft, front springs, engine, transmission, PCM, engine wireharness, fuel lines.... The little things will nickle and dime you to death. It is completely impractical unless you have a 100% complete running V8 donor car.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

It's a 1989 Camaro RS
      v6 2.8 Fuel Injected
      Running off the engine: Air pump, alternator... no a/c or mechanical radiator fan
      5 speed manual transmission, not sure model number

98% sure it's a V8 body with a V6 dropped in

I know i'll need a new ECM...

Comment

Check out www.thirdgen.org . You will find all of the info that you will need to go from a V6 to a V8. There is even a whole board for engine swaps. Just use the "search" button and take notes. TraceZ is dead on, though, you are going to need a donor car.
        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
        Trans: TH700R4
        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Originally posted by Benm109
          Check out www.thirdgen.org . You will find all of the info that you will need to go from a V6 to a V8. There is even a whole board for engine swaps. Just use the "search" button and take notes. TraceZ is dead on, though, you are going to need a donor car.
          I've done the exact swap you are looking into. I once converted my 1986 2.8 camaro to a 350. It was the only car project I've ever regreted. It killed me. I wouldnt even consider it again without a complete running donor car.

You will need:
          engine - long block with valve covers, oil pan and timing cover
          harmonic ballancer
          ignition system (distributor & wires)
          fuel system (manifold and carb / injection)
          Fuel injection wire harness / PCM
          Transmission
          Radiator and hoses
          water pump
          power steering pump
          alternator
          accessory brackets / pulleys and belts
          engine mounts
          transmission crossmember
          exhaust manifolds
          y-pipe
          limited slip differential (I never had the $$ to do it, so it only spun 1 wheel)
          driveshaft
          front springs (the V8 is heavier and it will bottom out)
          Speedometer (yours only goes to 85??)
          Mine needed a entire new guage pod.. it had no tachometer.

I ran a carb on mine so I had to use a holley FPR to step down the pressure. There was a trick to get the return line working too. Even after this conversion I still wanted a car that had the V8 stock, and I had spent a ton on it. My car still had rear drum brakes and a weak base model suspension.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If I had a nickel for everytime....
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
            X