Finally got Ram-Air installed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got Ram-Air installed

Well today it wasn't so hot to work in the garage so I finally installed the ram-air filter and the Fernco adapter.

I bought most of the stock parts from GM Parts Direct and the filter housing from a guy on LS1.com. The air filter itself is from K&N.

Man what a difference it makes. Should have installed it much earlier. Will try to get some numbers from the G-Tech Pro to compare them from before.

Would love to add a Borla but financial strain is currently high due to new house buy and move. After taking it for a spin I think I have to re-prioritize by replacing that drive shaft first. Those vibrations are driving me nuts.

Anybody have a good picture as to how the hole (where the stock filter was located) is covered? Any suggestions?

Rene

97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

SLP makes a block off plate for that area. They include it with the Ultra-Z and Ram-Air HO hood kits they sell. It has plastic tabs that secure it in place within that opening.

Did you have a hard time getting the hose from the AIR pump to connect to the airbox? The kit also includes a new AIR hose (designed to go from AIR pump to ram-air box) and a wire extension for the MAF sensor.

Comment

Found the link for you, only $9.95:

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...MBER=210280430

Comment

black 97,
        i also have the box and a functional ram air ultra z hood. besides looking killer it pulls like a champ at higher rpms. it also sounds sweet, you can actually hear the air going into the intake
        ed
        1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by Bond Hawk
          Found the link for you, only $9.95:

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...MBER=210280430
          Thanks forgot about that one. GM wants a lot more money for it and has to be custom ordered and shipped from the manufacturer. So I decided not to get it when I placed the order.

I could handle that much.

No the installation of the air hose wasn't difficult. I scraped my hand and arm a little squeezing it down in there. The clamps are super easy to work with. The biggest "problem" was to get that stupid tube (attached to the intake elbow) removed. Wasn't sure how it was attached underneath, so I ran up onto two 2x8's and removed it from below.

Soaking the Fernco adapter in hot water for a while, sure made it a lot easier to install.

It sure seems to breathe a lot better.
          97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Looks good! A couple thoughts.... 1) turn the Fernco over so the lettering isn't visible. 2) try and get the band clamps on the Fernco rotated so the screw is on the bottom.... hard to do, but looks better with them that way. I finally managed to get the one by the throttle body turned around, but I don't have a picture of it that way.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              Looks good! A couple thoughts.... 1) turn the Fernco over so the lettering isn't visible. 2) try and get the band clamps on the Fernco rotated so the screw is on the bottom.... hard to do, but looks better with them that way. I finally managed to get the one by the throttle body turned around, but I don't have a picture of it that way.
              Thanks for the hints, Fred. And there I was proud having the lettering of the Fernco right on top dead center.

I guess it's the little details that make it look better. Have a lot of cleaning to do under the hood. Just not enough time.

One question though. I can get a cover for the big hole, can that elbow piece just above the hole where the air box was attached to be removed? If it does, do I need to cover up anything else?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I removed the stock airbox back in 1994 when I first got the car, and installed a Callaway Honker CAI. I removed the entire stock airbox assembly, including the part that stuck forward into the front bumper. I had the CAI panel to close off the hole in the bottom, and left the hole open from the bumper area to the engine compartment. I figured that was a source of cool air for keep temps down under the hood.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Looks good, Rene.
                  Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

On my WS6 the plastic hose connecting to the air box that comes out of the bumper is still there. It was not removed or covered from the factory.
                    1997 Trans Am WS6
                    6 speed transmition
                    Flow Master cat back
                    other than that its stock

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Taso
                      Looks good, Rene.
                      Thanks Taso.

Still got some more work to do before it looks as sharp as yours. How are those blackout lenses holding up in the back?

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Now it's time for the Firehawk airbox mod. Remove the airbox lid and cut out all the louvers so that you have one large opening. Re-install and enjoy the extra noise and maybe a HP or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          Now it's time for the Firehawk airbox mod. Remove the airbox lid and cut out all the louvers so that you have one large opening. Re-install and enjoy the extra noise and maybe a HP or two.
                          I knew one of you guys would mention it. I thought about it but didn't have the heart yet to cut it after what I paid for it.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            I was just gonna say........I took an air die grinder and removed all of the louvers on mine, and yes you can hear the difference in the intake sound but it does seem top pull a little harder up top once you do this!

Comment

You see, now that we mentioned it, every time you drive you are going to wonder........should I do the mod or not?

You know you must do this free mod. It is calling your name.....

Comment

Working...
                              X