Panhard Rod question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard Rod question

I'm looking at BMR adjustable Panhard rods and see that they have just the regular Adjustable Panhard rod and then an adjustable "Chrome-moly" Panhard Rod. It's $30.00 more so whats the difference is it stronger or something or just fancy looking. If stronger, is it that much stronger that its worth it?
    2001 Camaro SS, ATI P1-SC Procharger 7 psi pulley (for now muah ha ha), MAC headers, MAC off road Y-Pipe, MAC "Cat Back", K&N, Richmond Racing 3.73's, Hypertech Power Programmer III custom programmed for Procharger, Subframe Connectors, Z06 rims (17x9.5, 18x10.5) BFG G-Force 315/30/18's. Panasonic In-Dash TV/CD/DVD player, 2 10" Audiobahn Subs in custom box, Audiofonics 800 watt amp. Dyno soon to come (and track times too)
    "No Ryan, my car cannot whistle any OTHER songs"

You need to look at the specs for each bar to see how the tubing wall thickness of the mild steel and chrome moly steel compare. Generally, since chrome moly is stronger than mild steel, they use a thinner tube wall to reduce the weight of the piece, while keeping the strength the same. Chrome moly material costs more, and welding is more difficult.

Unless you are looking to build a 3,000# race weight car and need to save a couple pounds at most, chrome moly would tend to be overkill. On my roll bar, I saved about 40# with chrome moly, so that was worthwhile.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

If you are planning on an adjustable rod, consider a double adjustable. A single adjustable requires you to remove one end of the bar from it's mount in order to adjust it, then reinstall. A double adjustable allows you to leave the bar in place, make the adjustment and lock it down. A real time saver when it comes to actually doing adjustment work.

Comment

Working...
      X