I need better gas mileage :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need better gas mileage :(

OK so yesterday i filled my tank up. I reset the tripometer every time i fill up. I think my fuel guage is a bit off because i put 12 gallons in and the fuel guage said it was half full. I had 262 miles on the tripometer so that's around 22 MPG. I was aware that a V8 wouldn't get me Honda gas mileage but i expected at least a little better than this. What can i do to to increase my fuel economy!? I already shift at nice low RPM's (2500-ish), I don't rip on the car (not only because i don't want to but even if i did, my stupid freakin exhaust system would let the cops know i was coming from 8 miles away), When i get on the highway, i cruise at about 62MPH in 6th. What can i do to bump it up a few miles per gallon? I've heard that a cold air intake helps a bit. Is this true? I couldn't go any lighter on the gas pedal. What else can i do? I was thinking about getting that Tornado thing but i figured i'd ask some knowledgable people about it before i bought it and you guys have been able to answer any question i've ever had. Thanks in advance.
    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
    SOLD- Kinda miss it
    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
    SOLD- Good riddance!
    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

With a stick shift, your highway mileage should be around 27. In town, considerably less. If mileage is a concern, start with fresh plugs and wires. Start with a good state of tune, injectors that don't leak or are clogged, fresh fuel and air filters and then apply the basic tricks like free flowing exhaust and intake. An ignition upgrade such as an MSD can add another mpg or two on the highway. If you really want to take it to the extreme..... an aluminum driveshaft, lightweight wheels and tires with a narrower tread to reduce rolling resistance works. The tornado thing is crap, save your money for the real stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
      OK so yesterday i filled my tank up. I reset the tripometer every time i fill up. I think my fuel guage is a bit off because i put 12 gallons in and the fuel guage said it was half full. I had 262 miles on the tripometer so that's around 22 MPG. I was aware that a V8 wouldn't get me Honda gas mileage but i expected at least a little better than this. What can i do to to increase my fuel economy!? I already shift at nice low RPM's (2500-ish), I don't rip on the car (not only because i don't want to but even if i did, my stupid freakin exhaust system would let the cops know i was coming from 8 miles away), When i get on the highway, i cruise at about 62MPH in 6th. What can i do to bump it up a few miles per gallon? I've heard that a cold air intake helps a bit. Is this true? I couldn't go any lighter on the gas pedal. What else can i do? I was thinking about getting that Tornado thing but i figured i'd ask some knowledgable people about it before i bought it and you guys have been able to answer any question i've ever had. Thanks in advance.
      A CAI and a high flowing 3" catback will help some... but then again, the $$ that you would spend on them would buy gas for over a year. When was the last time it got fresh spark plugs? 22 combined MPG is not that bad, really.

The "tornado" is a joke.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I wish i got 22mpg . . . since my ride to work every day is about 15 miles, and its mostly stop and go traffic, and basicaly any route i take around town is not highway im lucky to get 17.
        -Nick-
        95 A4 Z28

Comment

yea I'm sitting around 16 because of stop and go traffic to teh extreme(and i need a tune up). Niceville is the worse driving i've ever had and everyone goes like 5-7 MPH UNDER the speed limit....in BOTH lanes...what the crap is that? on a little divided 4lane(2 on each side) where the speed limit is 35(when it is comfortably 50) its really really annoying...luckily i have good paitence...backups getting on Base dont help either...its an 8 min drive to work...usually takes me 20 when theres traffic...I cant stand it. But anywho 22 is good i wish i had that...and i drive a 3.4L now to work so
          -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
          98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
          98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
          94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

It's only got 67,000 miles on it so it's plugs and wires and stuff should be fine. I'm not saying i get bad gas mileage but i just wish it was better. I don't want to supe this thing up, i want to keep it as my daily driver. I need something that's easy to modify. Even my dad is now fed up with his Viper. Our new motto is "If it doesn't do wheel stands, it isn't fast".
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

If you are looking at getting a CAI on a budget, go with the Moroso. If you want one that's cool, go with the SLP. Its a little bit more of a pain to install, but its just so cool. Everyone stares in awe when I pop the hood and they see the 2 big pipes. I think what Joe was referring to was a better set of plugs, but I could be wrong. My personal experience with the Bosch plugs vs. the stock (on the GN that is) is not only better throttle response, but she does sip slightly less gas due to the extra little snap. I've got a set of NGK Irridium's to go on the Z myself, and I'm hoping those will do at least something. Just my 2 cents. If 22 is combined, that's not bad at all. I usually see about 16.5 in mostly city, slight freeway (5 min. each way on a 30 min. commute, 15 mi.) on mine with the stock 3.23s, over 24 on strict freeway at 80 in 6th. Just remember...you are pushin' a lot of power, so 22 is pretty respectable for the car that it is. Take care.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

correct me if i'm wrong, but if you switch to some steeper gears, like 3.73 or 4.10, you will actually get better gas mileage in the city, since it takes less juice to get the same acceleration

Edit: well, this would be for an M6 tranny, anyway, since you can throw it into 5th or 6th gear in town to keep the RPM's down once you're up to speed. for an A4, it probably wouldn't help as much.

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
                CAGS Eliminator

Comment

I'm surprised no one suggested new O2 sensors. They might help also.
                  Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Working...
                  X