fuel odor in car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel odor in car

my 94 camaro 3.4 v6 gets a nasty fuel odor inside the car while driving. It definatly seems to be running rich. I tested the two O2 sensors before the cat and found one bad one the smell went away for a few days and now is back. I tried pulling the OBD codes but it didnt seem to work it has the 12 pin plug so I tried jumping it with no luck. any ideas?
    Thanks

Originally posted by ed3196499
    my 94 camaro 3.4 v6 gets a nasty fuel odor inside the car while driving. It definatly seems to be running rich. I tested the two O2 sensors before the cat and found one bad one the smell went away for a few days and now is back. I tried pulling the OBD codes but it didnt seem to work it has the 12 pin plug so I tried jumping it with no luck. any ideas?
    Thanks
    I know in 94 the V8 cars required an actual scanner to be read.. I'd assume the V6 cars are the same. You wont be able to use a paperclip. Get a OBD1 scanner.

Also check the fuel rail and filter for leaks. Is it possible that a lawnmower gascan spilled some in the car at some point? My wife spilled some in the back of a car once and it smelled for a while. I'm just thinking of anything I can..
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Could be a pin hole in the tank (I had that happen) or the charcoal cannister in the driver side rear fenderwell (pretty common). I'd check the obvious stuff, like try to centralize where the smell is coming from and check all the fuel lines to ensure they aren't leaking.
      "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

You cannot read the codes in a 94 by merely jumping the teminals. You also can't but an el-cheapo code reader, you will need an OBD 1 scanner. Is it safe to say that you are getting an SES light?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          You cannot read the codes in a 94 by merely jumping the teminals. You also can't but an el-cheapo code reader, you will need an OBD 1 scanner. Is it safe to say that you are getting an SES light?

thanks for the input all, yes the SES light is on, I checked for leaks under the car too. its more of a rich exhuast odor you can smell it strong behind the car when its running. I will check the canister today and do some more searching

Comment

Working...
          X