Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got Y2K corvette wheels on their camaro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got Y2K corvette wheels on their camaro?

I bought 17x8.5 F and 18x9.5 R for my 95 z28 camaro. The 18" for the back are hitting inside the wheel wells. I tried spacers but i need longer studs and the longer studs are bigger at the base where they enter the axle so they wont fit. Has anybody had this problem or heard of it and how was it fixed?

According to data from VETTE magazine, the 2000 18x9.5" wheels have a 65mm offset. That calculates out to about a 7.75" backspace, and that backspace while "close" should not be a problem. Many of us run 11" wide ZR1/GS wheels with a 7.93" backspace, and hammering the inner fenders, cutting the edge off the jounce bumper brackets, and sometimes even recentering the body over the axle with an adjustable panhard rod is needed in maybe 50% of the cases.

Are your wheels "OEM" or replicas? Sometimes the replicas have oddball offsets, although the article in VETTE indicates the offsets are the same for OEM and replicas.

Is the wheel hitting only on the inside of one wheel well? that would indicate you need to recenter the body.

What size tires are you running on them?

Are you sure they aren't 18x10.5's? Those have an 8.0" backspace, and will definitely cause major interference problems with the inner fenders.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

They are hitting on the bracket thats right there in the middle of the fender well. I can get em on but if i lower the car i will probabaly puncture a tire. I looked pretty hard at both sides and the body looks to be centered over the rear end becuz i did think of that. I have ordered longer studs and 1/2" spacers that are hub centris and wheel centric. How much is that goin to weaken everything? I want to still be able to throw on some drag radials and head to the track.

Comment

Do you mean the jounce bumper bracket? That will hit the wheel/tire when the car is jacked and the axle is at full drop, but if you have the car at normall ride height, or lower it, the bracket ends up inside the wheel, and there is no interference at all.

You just cut/grind the outer edge of the bracket off:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

How much room do i need between my tire and the wheel well? I was told at least 3/4 to an inch.

Comment

Working...
          X