sudden drop in oil pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden drop in oil pressure

I just changed my oil in my 91 305 tbi, prior to doing so, my oil pressure was pretty close to 60 when cruising @ 70 mph. Now it doesn't go above 50! When she is idling it is real close to the red zone. I am a little freeked out over this, any ideas?

Did you change viscosities? Or, even a change from synthetic to conventional can cause oil pressure to change.
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

When the car idled with the previous oil, where was the oil pressure at?

It is possible that the oil pressure gauge is faulty. 3rd gen gauges are not known to be accurate after all these years. My tach is way off, it always reads around 1500-2000 RPMs too high, for example.

Anyway, try this, rev the engine to 2000 RPMs, hold it there, and see how much oil pressure you have. You should have a minimum of 15 PSI.
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
      X