vortech vs. procharger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vortech vs. procharger

I am looking to have my car supercharged this winter and professionally tuned by kennedy dyno tuning. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on weather the vortech or the procharger set was better. Im looking to go with a complete system between 6 and 8 psi with intercooler and wanted to know if i should go with the procharger or vortech system.
    1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
    1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

I researched it pretty thouroly and came out with the procharger under my hood. They're self contained, no oil pan tapping, and give the most power increase because of thier twin highflow intercoolers. Not to mention theyre less expensive.
    2001 Camaro SS, ATI P1-SC Procharger 7 psi pulley (for now muah ha ha), MAC headers, MAC off road Y-Pipe, MAC "Cat Back", K&N, Richmond Racing 3.73's, Hypertech Power Programmer III custom programmed for Procharger, Subframe Connectors, Z06 rims (17x9.5, 18x10.5) BFG G-Force 315/30/18's. Panasonic In-Dash TV/CD/DVD player, 2 10" Audiobahn Subs in custom box, Audiofonics 800 watt amp. Dyno soon to come (and track times too)
    "No Ryan, my car cannot whistle any OTHER songs"

Comment

The quickest S/C'd LT1 (9.04@155mph) ran a Vortech, with air-to-water aftercooler.

George Baxter:

But the next quickest (9.11@155MPH) used an ATI:

Brian "Madman" Jeffries:

I think that indicates that both can produce power, both are reliable, and it really doesn't matter whether you use air-to-water or air-to-air aftercooling.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ProCharger hands down. They have a superior warranty program, superior technology, and much better adiabatic effeciency. Most of the ProCharger smaller head units greatly outflow some of the bigger Vortech units.

The twin highflow outlet and the superior self contained technology alone are reason enough. It is never a good thing to run dirty hot engine oil through a supercharger head unit.

And on the street, ProCharger units will yield much better gas mileage as well due to their unique transmission and correct step up ratios.

Do a search on some of the serious drag race boards such as www.ls1tech.com and you will find that the vast majority of people winning trophies are running ProCharger superchargers. You will even find some people that have switched from a Vortech to a similar ProCharger head unit and made much more power. Not to dog on Vortech but ProCharger is most certainly superior in every way.

Comment

Contrary to what Kevin just said... if you search the "Forced Induction" forum on ls1tech.com, most of the crazy horsepower guys are using Vortechs. PM a guy named "Pro Stock John"... he'll set you straight.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            The quickest S/C'd LT1 (9.04@155mph) ran a Vortech, with air-to-water aftercooler.

George Baxter
            I thought Mr. Baxter was already somewhere in the 8's with his new suspension upgrades?
            1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
              I thought Mr. Baxter was already somewhere in the 8's with his new suspension upgrades?
              Yes, and he still runs the Vortech (there's no substitute for proven success!!), but its no longer an "LT1". The current engine is based on a Gen 1 Dart Iron Eagle SBC:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Vortech went so far as to delibarately publish false test information in regards to ProCharger comparisons about 5 years ago. They knew and still know that their technology was way behind that of ATI's. Needless to say, ATI sued Vortech and won obviously.

http://www.procharger.com/lawsuit.html

Vortech still to this very day has refused to go head to head with ProCharger on a dyno or track comparison. What does that tell you. I know what it tells me.

BTW Jay, I said winning trophies not making "crazy horespower".

ProCharger has been "setting straight" Vortech for many years now.

Comment

I've heard that vortech published false figures when it came to percentage gains. Don't know how accurate that is though.
                  2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                  2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Working...
                  X