NFB -- 95 sonoma that waddles when you shift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB -- 95 sonoma that waddles when you shift

My son's 95 Sonoma has 125,500 miles on it. When you shift between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, you get a disticnt waddle to teh right out of teh back end--feels like the body shifts slightly right then left then back to center. My suspicion is needs new shocks--they are the originals--but anyone else have any other thoughts.
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

My Mustang did that when I broke a rear upper suspension bar that runs diagonally from the center of the rear end to the right frame rail. It acts like the panhard rod on the F-body. I would suggest checking the suspension and bushings.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Sonoma

Does it have leaf springs in the rear?
      NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
      (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

The sonoma does have rear leafs, and I have checked all teh mounts and fittings, and teh straps holding teh leafs, to assure they are all properly fastened and tight. It has two inch lowering blocks in the rear, but it didn't waddle like this when I gave the truck to my son about 3 years ago.
        2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

I seriously doubt that a leaf spring mount or anything like it would be loose. If it was, you would know it instantly. The rear end would go in and out of alignment causing the truck to "steer" with the rear end. Ever time you gave it throttle or let off the throttle, the truck would literally change directions and won't hold a straight line. Shocks are a possibility, transmission mounts and motor mounts can give symptoms like what you describe also. Every time you shift, the emgine/trans goes out of alignment with the rear causing driveshaft harmonics until the trans settles back into it's mount. It feels like the vehicle is "doing the two-step". IMHO, I would check the engine and trans mounts as well as the shocks.

Comment

Thanks for teh ideas. Never considered the motor or tarns moutns could be teh culprit.

Comment

Working...
            X