Tranny leaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny leaks

Well it was a nice day and I took the T/A out for a spin. No rough housing just a quick sprint up to 100 mph on the 401.

When I came back, I let it sit for a while in the driveway to cool down and eventually moved it into the garage. To my horror I discovered a nice oil puddle on the pavement.

I looked underneath and it seems to come from the tranny. It drips down on the front of the pan on either side. How bad is this? Any words of wisdom before I bring it in to have it looked at?

Rene

97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

What you have here is the dreaded LT1 intake manifold oil leak. If you look closely, you'll see it is coming down from the top on both sides of the trans.

It's a weekend project. Enjoy!!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

And here it is in AOL phonics..

WUT U HAEV HER3 IS DA DREAEDD LT1 INTAEK MANIFOLD OIL L3AK111!1 WTF IF U LOK CLOSELY U SE IT IS COMNG DOWN FROM DA 2P ON BOTH SIEDS OF DA TRANS

ITS1!!!1111 OMG WTF LOL A WEK3ND PROJECT11!! OMG 3NJOY!
      !11!111!!
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I was afraid somebody would say this. Does it start leaking that quickly? First time I ever noticed anything dripping on the driveway or garage floor. Now it's dripping quite nicely.

How much are we talking about if it's done by a shop?

As for your AOL phonics Tracy, I use AOL for work but I must be missing out on something because I don't understand it.
        97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Is it possible that the rear main oil seal is leaking? I don't know these cars at all, but whenever oil is dripping in the back that's the first thing I check.

Rene, I would get my head down in there and try to spot this leak to know for sure where it's coming from. Let us know what you find.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I dont think it is the rear main. If you look at the picture you can clearly see the entire top of the transmission is coated in oil. It can only come from 2 places... The back of the intake manifold, or a valve cover. I'd rule out a valve cover because BOTH sides of the trans are covered. It is very common for the intake manifold leak to result in the entire trans getting covered in oil, just like the one in the picture. This appears to be a textbook case.

Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
              As for your AOL phonics Tracy, I use AOL for work but I must be missing out on something because I don't understand it.
              Someone posted an AOL converter on this forum yesterday.. I was just trying to make you smile. I thought it was funny!
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:

Comment

I thought the same thing on my 97 WS6........that it was the infamous intake manifold leak. Well I checked and it was bone dry all around the intake manifold. So I get under the car and bingo......the leak was the rear main seal.

Once oil gets on the flexplate and converter it gets slung everywhere so it is hard to tell.

It wasn't that bad actually. Took me about 2 hours to pull the tranny. Then replaced the rear main and no more leak!

Just trace the oil leak to it's origin and you should know at that point where it is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                  Someone posted an AOL converter on this forum yesterday.. I was just trying to make you smile. I thought it was funny!
                  I know, thanks Tracy. I was trying to give a funny reply but I guess I wasn't too sucessfull.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

I went through the pics again. I looks like the oil comes from the top but it's not as wet there as it is right at the pan flange. Unless it's mostly running down on the other side?

Well now that I've looked at it all blown up, it looks like it's coming from the top. I guess I have to go out there tomorrow and have it checked out.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

BEst thing to do is get a mirror on an extendor shaft and look at the back of the intake while the car is running. If you cant see it seeping out, then look elswhere.
                      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

I took a mirror this morning and looked behind there without it running. It seems to be damp there but it's hard to believe the amount of oil that is dripping underneath comes from here.

I'll bring it to a shop tomorrow and have them look at it.

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by Black97
                          I took a mirror this morning and looked behind there without it running. It seems to be damp there but it's hard to believe the amount of oil that is dripping underneath comes from here.

I'll bring it to a shop tomorrow and have them look at it.
                          Up on top it forms a thin film, but it gets thicker and goops up twards the bottom as it attracts dirt. It really makes a mess. I had to do my clutch as a result of it also, and while I had the trans removed I took a pressure washer to it with some gunk engine brite and cleaned it all up pretty. The bottom of the car stays nice and clean now!
                          Tracy
                          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                          Current Mods:

Comment

I'd suggest using an oil dye to locate the origin. Many GM dealers/shops use it before proceeding to correct oil-related repairs. It will dye the oil an odd color of yellow. It's best viewed with a black light (far-out, man! ), but you can still see it without one.

About $5 for a 2-3 ounce bottle at any GM dealer parts counter. Clean the area(s), add it to your oil and drive it (in your case not very far, since the leak appeared suddenly). Keep a close eye for the uppermost origin of the leak.

Once you've located and corrected the problem, change your oil and filter as well to remove the remaining dye.

Note: Be careful. This stuff works VERY, VERY well, meaning it will discolor damn near anything it comes in contact with. Be careful opening and pouring - just get it into the crankcase cleanly, recap the bottle and discard.

Good luck.
                            02 SS #9638 - Black/Black 6sp Hardtop

Comment

You can get the dye at your local auto parts store to avoid the automatic dealer ripoff/markup factor. Most stores are carrying the light too. Be careful though as it is actually a UV light not a black light, so it can hurt your eyes. If you buy the light it usually comes with UV shielding glasses, mainly just don't look directly at the light.

They also have a dye for Coolant leaks and AC. It's a good system, easy and accurate.
                              NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
                              (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

Working...
                              X