Lost to stock 98 cobra?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost to stock 98 cobra?

chilling in a parking lot with some friends. 98 cobra rolls up and is begging me to race him. He said he was stock. I said it wasn't worth my gas then. He did have drag radials though. So we run from a dead stop and of course I get it handed to me immediately. So I say lets run from a roll because I can't compete with that kind of traction. So we run from a roll and I just keep up with him, and he started pulling on me. He showed me under his hood so from what I could see he was stock, except for his exhaust.

I just don't get how I can pass my buddy's 96 cobra like he's standing still, and this one pulls on me?

I'm guessing he had gears. When I shifted to second he was already in third, and when I hit third he was in 4th. You guys think this guy was stock, or was he full of it? I'm guessing he upgraded his gears, Cobra's don't snap speed like that to where he's halfway to fourth when I shift to second.

This is making me want my exhaust, 4:10 and CAI ASAP. 97 z28, M6.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Well... you are in a low 14 - high 13 at best - car... this sounds about right to me.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

And I thought the cobra's were at best mid to low 14 second cars.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

They are. Sounds like someone wasn't telling you everything they had done. I've ridden in a stock 98 slobra convert. and it was not that fast. Something's not right with what he said IMHO.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

GEAR.

Only thing I can think of.

Comment

I raced a cobra im not sure what year it was. It was the ones they had in 96 so i dont know what a 98 looks like if it is the same or the new body style. But I was stock except for a cut out and 2.73 gears and he misssed 3rd gear real bad and i smoked him but then we did it again to about 90 or so and it was dead even. I did a 14.0 @99 with that set up on a real humid day about 80 or so.
            Tom
            1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

And I bet, purepwrta, if you had a numerically-higher gear ratio you propably would've beaten him. I agree, gears. 96-98 Cobras were not that fast. Don't feel bad though...I got smoked twice in the past 3 days...by other 4th Gens lol Oh well, it happens.
              Steve
              79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
              87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
              93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
              http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Just a thought, most people do not put drag radials on bone stock cars!! I don't think he was telling you the full truth on that one!
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                Traded in: 1998 Z28
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                  And I thought the cobra's were at best mid to low 14 second cars.
                  I am pretty sure they are faster than that.
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Hidden nitrous kit.....
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                      Hidden nitrous kit.....
                      Yep. That's what I was thinking. Drag radials and a Sneaky Pete good for say, 50 or 60 horses.

Comment

Originally posted by hotwhip9
                        Just a thought, most people do not put drag radials on bone stock cars!! I don't think he was telling you the full truth on that one!
                        I said that to his face. I said if you're bone stock what'd you put drags on for? You aren't making enough power to need drag radials. He said he put them on so that he could launch at a higher rpm.

Comment

Thinking about this brought back memories. In my young days, I too did the race thing. We would be out in nowhere doing the illegal drags and what I ran was slick. A pro street type ElCamino with a semi hidden nitrous setup. I had the bottom of the intake plumbed with hard lines and the nitrous solenoids were mounted way back on the underside of the trans tunnel and heat shielded. From topside you couldn't see a darned thing. In the event that I ended up running someone that knew I had nitrous, they would typically ask me to disconnect the bottle and run on the motor alone. Here's where it was really fun...... Under the tonneau cover was an actual nitrous bottle with line running back under the bed and terminated inside the frame rail and hooked to nothing.
                          The Real bottle was hidden in an compartment behind the driver's seat that was really under the bed but could be reached from the driver's seat. They all watched as the bottle in the bed was diconnected, but before the run I reach back behind the seat, open the flip panel and twist the knob (this was back before all this electric bottle opening stuff).

The looks were priceless as they couldn't imagine how it must have run with the nitrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                            Thinking about this brought back memories. In my young days, I too did the race thing. We would be out in nowhere doing the illegal drags and what I ran was slick. A pro street type ElCamino with a semi hidden nitrous setup. I had the bottom of the intake plumbed with hard lines and the nitrous solenoids were mounted way back on the underside of the trans tunnel and heat shielded. From topside you couldn't see a darned thing. In the event that I ended up running someone that knew I had nitrous, they would typically ask me to disconnect the bottle and run on the motor alone. Here's where it was really fun...... Under the tonneau cover was an actual nitrous bottle with line running back under the bed and terminated inside the frame rail and hooked to nothing.
                            The Real bottle was hidden in an compartment behind the driver's seat that wasreally under the bed but could be reached from the driver's seat. They all watched as the bottle in the bed was diconnected, but before the run I reach back behind the seat, open the flip panel and twist the knob (this was back before all this electric bottle opening stuff).

The looks were priceless as they couldn't imaging how it must have run with the nitrous.
                            haha, thats a pretty good idea!!
                            99 Z Hugger Orange 9/05

93 Z 6/03

Zaino!!

Comment

It sounds like there is some Mustang jealousy going on in this thread...

...I am not gonna say one way or another... but it is not impossible that a stock 98 Cobra took down a stock 97 LT1.

Comment

Working...
                              X